Is there a Quotient Group Isomorphic to C4 in Cyclic Group Order 16?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the first isomorphism theorem to determine whether a cyclic group of order 16, C16, has a quotient group isomorphic to C4. The method for this is defined using a function f from C16 to C4, with the kernel being all elements in C16 that map to the identity in C4 and the image being a subgroup of C4. The conversation also discusses using this method to determine whether a subgroup of S4, A4, has a quotient group isomorphic to C4, with the conclusion being that it does not due to the order of elements in A4 being either 2 or 3, while the elements of C4 all have order 4.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I have to use the first isomorphism theorem to determine whether C16 (cyclic group order 16) has a quotient group isomorphic to C4.

Homework Equations

First isomorphism theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

C16 = {e, a, ..., a^15}
C4 = {e, b, ..., b^3}

Homomorphism f(a^m) = b^m 0<= m < 16
ker f is all x in C16 such that f(x) = e = b^4 = b^8 = b^12 = {e, a^4, a^8, a^12}
im f = {e, b^2, ..., b^15} = {e, b^2, b^3, b,..., b^3} = C4

Therefore, there is an isomorphism.

I'm unsure about my method here, especially finding I am f, as it initally appears that I am f is bigger than C4.

Physics news on Phys.org
The next one I have to check is whether the subgroup A4 of S4 has a quotient group isomorphic to C4. My instinct says no but I have no idea how to prove this. Again, I'm advised to use the first isomorphism theorem.

Your method for the first question is fine. You are defining your function f from C16 to C4, so of course the image cannot be larger than C4. All that remains is to make sure f is a homomorphism and onto. Both are true in your case.

For the second question, your instinct is correct. Here is a good way to think about this problem. List all 12 elements of A4. What is the order of each of these elements? What does that imply about any homomorphism into C4?

Ok, so besides the identity they all have order 2 or 3 I think. Whereas all elements besides the identity in C4 have order 4. But I don't think we can have a homomorphism that raises the order of elements?

Related to Is there a Quotient Group Isomorphic to C4 in Cyclic Group Order 16?

What is the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is a fundamental result in abstract algebra that relates the structure of two groups through a homomorphism. It states that if there exists a homomorphism from one group to another, then the quotient group (the group of cosets) of the kernel of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations of the structures. In the context of groups, a homomorphism is a function that maps elements of one group to elements of another group, and the operation between the elements is preserved. This means that the homomorphism respects the group structure.

What is the kernel of a homomorphism?

The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain group that map to the identity element in the codomain group. In other words, it is the set of elements that are mapped to the neutral element by the homomorphism. In the First Isomorphism Theorem, the quotient group of the kernel is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism between two algebraic structures. This means that the homomorphism is not only one-to-one and onto, but it also preserves the operations between elements. In the context of groups, an isomorphism is a bijective function that preserves the group structure.

How is the First Isomorphism Theorem used in mathematics?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is a powerful tool in abstract algebra and is used to understand the structure of groups. It is often used to prove the existence of isomorphisms between groups, and to show that two groups are not isomorphic. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in topology and group theory.