Is there a possibility that time loops exist?

• Thread starter Kevin Anderson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loops Time
In summary, a time loop is not possible in our current understanding of physics, and can be ruined by mess with time in a way that makes it confusing for the audience.
Kevin Anderson
I'm filmmaker, currently I'm writing movie about time loop. My question is, is it possible for time loop to happen? What can cause it? and is there any scientific explanation behind it?

Likes AidenFlamel
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kevin, :welcome:

(You may not like this:smile:):

NO

[edit] But don't let that stop you !​

Kevin Anderson said:
I'm filmmaker, currently I'm writing movie about time loop. My question is, is it possible for time loop to happen? What can cause it? and is there any scientific explanation behind it?

Here's the problem with this kind of question, and I often like to put it in a perspective that most non-scientists can understand.

Let's say you have a broken vase that has shattered into hundreds or thousand of pieces. How likely, do you think, that it will assemble back into its original self if you simply throw all the pieces back onto the floor?

For most of us, if not all, we'll say that it is impossible to happen, mainly because in our history of human civilization, such an occurrence has never been reported or validated. Still, in physics, the "phase space" for that to occur is not zero! In fact, I would say that in physics, there are a lot of highly improbable events that have non-zero probability of happening, but this probability is exceedingly so small, that it is practically accepted that it doesn't occur.

So your question on whether such-and-such is "possible" is really meaningless because it depends on what you mean by "possible". Is it based on the existence of a non-zero probability, no matter how minuscule it is? Or is based on what we think can be verified and observed? Or is it based on what we have already seen and verified?

Zz.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Kevin wants to go back and catch it before it has broken ...

Likes Ryan_m_b
I'm researching based on what we think can be verified since this has never been validated. Based on theory, what are the cause of these things to happen?

I'm doing this research because I want to make film that have a research thought behind it, not just imagination.

Likes AidenFlamel
I guess you mean like Groundhog day? Unless you want to set it in a virtual world where the day keeps getting reset but the protags memories are kept intact there's not any plausible science you could use to describe it. But you don't really have to to make a good film.

Likes AidenFlamel
yes, like Groundhog Day. But Groundhog Day doesn't have cause, that's why I want to bring different perspective, put science behinds it. Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow have done it, one using computer and the other one using Alien. I'm hoping to come up with different cause, maybe something like meteor, the Earth stop moving or anything.

Kevin Anderson said:
researching based on what we think can be verified since this has never been validated

Which part of NO was so unclear ? You think mine is just an opinion :rolleyes: ?

Likes CalcNerd
BvU said:
Which part of NO was so unclear ? You think mine is just an opinion :rolleyes: ?
yes its clear, i was just answering the others. Thanks you.

Likes BvU
Given that a time loop isn't possible in our current understanding of physics, you need to start with the premise that our current understanding of physics is wrong, or incomplete. This can be a ton of work for an author, which is why the movies you site keep the physics of a time loop as far from the protagonists as possible.

The ending of Edge of Tomorrow ran into trouble with some of the audience not understanding why the last loop was the way it was. Even if the authors can explain it later, it's too late - some of your audience left the theater confused and thinking they'd seen a movie without a real ending. Look to the Lost in Space movie to see how messing with time can ruin the drama and impact of a film. A quick guide: Time travel should never be the solution to any dramatic tension. From an emotional standpoint, time travel is just running away and lying to the audence.

Likes AidenFlamel and Kevin Anderson

Related to Is there a possibility that time loops exist?

1. What is a time loop?

A time loop is a hypothetical phenomenon in which time repeats itself, causing events and actions to occur in the exact same sequence. It is often depicted in science fiction and is also known as a "causal loop" or "temporal loop".

2. How do time loops work?

The exact mechanism of how time loops work is unknown and is a subject of scientific debate. Some theories suggest that certain events or actions can cause a loop in the fabric of time, while others propose the existence of parallel universes or alternate timelines.

3. Are there any real-life examples of time loops?

As of now, there are no scientifically proven examples of time loops. However, there have been various reported cases of individuals experiencing a sense of deja vu or the feeling of reliving a moment, which could be considered a mild form of a time loop.

4. Can time loops be proven?

Currently, there is no definitive way to prove the existence of time loops. However, scientists continue to study and research the concept through experiments and simulations in order to gain a deeper understanding of time and its potential complexities.

5. What are the implications of time loops?

If time loops do exist, it could have significant implications on our understanding of the universe and the concept of cause and effect. It could also raise questions about free will and the possibility of changing the past or future. However, until there is concrete evidence of their existence, these implications remain purely speculative.