Is there a PF section specifically for classical and quantum entropy?

In summary, the conversation was about the topic of classical and quantum entropy and if there is a specific section on Physics Forums dedicated to it. The person searching for information mentioned not being able to find anything through forum discussions and being new to the website. Another person clarified that there is no specific forum for this topic, but the individual can choose to post in either the classical or quantum sections and have their thread moved if needed. The conversation ended with the person thanking for the clarification and mentioning that they will revisit the forum discussions on the topic.
Fran888
I'm interested in classical and quantum entropy. Is there a section on PF devoted exclusively to this topic? I searched a few forum discussions but couldn't find anything.
I'm new here. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fran888 said:
I'm interested in classical and quantum entropy. Is there a section on PF devoted exclusively to this topic? I searched a few forum discussions but couldn't find anything.
I'm new here. Thank you.
I don't understand. I did a forum search for entropy and got page after page after page of threads.

Fran888 said:
Is there a section on PF devoted exclusively to this topic?
No. But take your pick of either Classical or Quantum, whichever seems most fitting for a topic. If you choose wrongly, you can always ask to have the thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was a specific forum devoted to the topic. I saw the threads but they seem to be a little all over the place. I'll go through these again. Thanks again.

We don't have specialized subforums for every specialized subject, doesn't make much practical sense.

Related to Is there a PF section specifically for classical and quantum entropy?

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is often described as the degree of chaos or uncertainty in a system.

2. Why is entropy important in science?

Entropy is important in science because it helps us understand the natural tendency of systems to become more disordered over time. It also plays a crucial role in thermodynamics, information theory, and many other areas of science.

3. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that systems tend to move towards a state of maximum disorder or randomness, as predicted by the concept of entropy.

4. Can entropy be reversed?

In closed systems, entropy cannot be reversed. However, in open systems where energy can be exchanged with the surroundings, it is possible to decrease entropy in one part of the system while increasing it in another part.

5. What are some practical applications of entropy?

Entropy has many practical applications in various fields such as thermodynamics, information theory, chemistry, and biology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, to measure the efficiency of energy conversion processes, and to design and improve technologies, among other things.