Is there a mistake in my non-commutative binomial expansion for (A+B)^3?

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of (A+B)^3 where A and B are non-commutative, and the attempt to prove the identity e^{\mu(A+B)}=e^{\mu A}e^{\mu B}e^{-\mu^2 [A,B]} with the assumption that A and B both commute with [A,B]. The users also mention getting different results for the expansion of the LHS and RHS of the equation. The final conclusion is that the assumption of A and B commuting with [A,B] is necessary for the identity to hold.
Oerg

Homework Statement

Well, I was trying to expand say for the third power of (A+B), where A and B are non-commutative.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get

[tex] (A+B)^3=(A^2+AB+BA+B^2)(A+B)=A^3+ABA+BA^2+B^2A+A^2B+AB^2+BAB+B^3[/tex]

but from a few sources online, it should be

[tex] (A+B)^3=(A^3+3A^2B+3AB^2+B^3)-3(AB-BA)(A+B) [/tex]

Now, these 2 results don't seem to be equivalent and I have checked this by expanding it myself. I have been thinking for quite some time about what is wrong with my answer but I seem to be getting nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. I don't see you can get the second result without some extra condition on A and B.

the larger problem at hand is actually this:

http://www.voofie.com/content/103/proving-the-identity-eab-e-lambda2-ea-eb-if-ablambda/

and similarly

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2796908

The question is to prove that

[tex] e^{\mu(A+B)}=e^{\mu A}e^{\mu B}e^{-\mu^2 [A,B]} [/tex]-equation 1

, where [tex]\mu[/tex] is some complex number.

in the first post in the pf thread in the link above, the user got the following

Notation I use: C^n = (A+B)^n respecting order, c^n = (a+b)^n with all A's before B's.
e.g.: (A+B)^2 = AA + AB +BA + BB, and (a+b)^2 = AA + 2AB + BB
(A+B)^0 = I
(A+B)^1 = A+B
(A+B)^2 = (a+b)^2 - k
(A+B)^3 = (a+b)^3 - 3k(A+B)
(A+B)^4 =(a+b)^4 - 6k(a+b)^2 + 3k^2
(A+B)^5 =(a+b)^5 - 10k(a+b)^3 + 15k^2(a+b)
(A+B)^6=(a+b)^6 - 15k(a+b)^4 + 45k^2(a+b)^2 - 15k^3

, where [A,B]=k

and similarly the other user in the other link had the same results. Additionally, when I expanded the RHS in equation 1 with respect to [tex] \mu [/tex], I got the same results for power 3 that the 2 users got. But when I tried to expand the LHS in a power series, I did not get the RHS and I got results similar the my first post in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, OK. You need the assumption that A and B both commute with [A,B], which is indeed true if [A,B]=k where k is a complex number. In that case, you can show that

[tex]
(A+B)^3=(A^3+3A^2B+3AB^2+B^3)-3[A,B](A+B)-[2A+B,[A,B]]=(A^3+3A^2B+3AB^2+B^3)-3[A,B](A+B)
[/tex]

Last edited:
ahh I see many thanks

Related to Is there a mistake in my non-commutative binomial expansion for (A+B)^3?

1. What is a non-commutative binomial?

A non-commutative binomial is an algebraic expression consisting of two terms that do not commute, meaning that the order in which the terms are multiplied affects the result. It is typically written as (a + b), where a and b are non-commutative elements.

2. What is the difference between a commutative and a non-commutative binomial?

In a commutative binomial, the terms commute, meaning that the order in which they are multiplied does not affect the result. For example, in the binomial (a + b), a and b can be switched and the result will be the same. In a non-commutative binomial, the terms do not commute and the order of multiplication does matter.

3. How is a non-commutative binomial used in mathematics?

Non-commutative binomials are used in abstract algebra and other branches of mathematics to study algebraic structures that are not commutative. They also have applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

4. Can non-commutative binomials be simplified or factored like commutative binomials?

Yes, non-commutative binomials can be simplified and factored using specific rules and properties of non-commutative algebra. However, the process may be more complex and involve a different approach compared to simplifying or factoring commutative binomials.

5. Are there any real-world examples of non-commutative binomials?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of non-commutative binomials. One example is the cross product in vector calculus, where the order of the vector multiplication affects the result. Another example is matrix multiplication, where the order of the matrices matters and does not commute. These concepts have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.