Is there a mistake in my calculation or in my reasoning?

So, why do you have to involve convolutions in the first (and third) place?In summary, the conversation is about using convolution to solve a differential equation and encountering a problem with the order of integration. The mistake is found in the second case where the integration boundaries are incorrect. The correct boundaries should be from 0 to (t - 1) instead of from 1 to t. It is suggested to think about the meaning of convolution and to write the integrals using the actual expressions for the functions.
Jonas E

Homework Statement

y'' + 3y' + 2y = r(t),

r(t) = u(t - 1) - u(t - 2),

y(0) = y'(0) = 0.

I need to solve this by convolution, which I know is commutative. The problem is that my calculation gives (f * g) =/= (g * f). Could someone please tell me where my mistake is?

Homework Equations

(f * g) = ∫f(τ)g(t-τ)dτ, from 0 to t

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the problem into 3 cases:

First (0 < t < 1): r(t) = 0, so y(t) = 0

Second (1 < t < 2): r(t) = 1 This is where it goes wrong.

I get f(t) = 1, g(t) = e^(-t) - e^(-2t), then y = (f * g) = ∫[ e^-(t-τ) - e^-2(t-τ) ]dτ, from 1 to t = (1/2) - e^-(t-1) - (1/2)e^-2(t-1), which is the correct answer according to my textbook.

But, y = (g * f) = ∫[ e^(-τ) - e^(-2τ) ]dτ, from 1 to t = -e^(-t) + (1/2)e^(-2t) + e^(-1) - (1/2)e^(-2) =/= (f * g)

I integrated from 1 instead of 0 since r=0 for t < 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look over your integration boundaries for the second case. Think about what the convolution really means.

Orodruin said:
I suggest you look over your integration boundaries for the second case. Think about what the convolution really means.
I don't think I understand. I get the right answer for (g * f) if I integrate from 0 to (t - 1) instead, but I don't understand why. Could you please explain?

Try writing the integrals using the actual expressions for the functions instead. Where are the heaviside functions non-zero?

Orodruin said:
Try writing the integrals using the actual expressions for the functions instead. Where are the heaviside functions non-zero?
I have now tried that for both (f * g) and (g * f), but in both cases I get the correct answer for case 3 (t > 2), when I'm trying to solve for case 2:

(f * g) = ∫[ e^(-τ) - e^(-2τ) ] * [ u(t - τ - 1) - u(t - τ - 2)]dτ

I find that for case 2:

t - τ - 1 > 0 Λ t - τ - 2 < 0

which gives me:

t - 2 < τ < t - 1

So the integral becomes:

[ -e^(-τ) + (1/2)e^(-2τ) ] from (t - 2) to (t - 1) = e^-(t - 2) - (1/2)e^-2(t - 2) - (e^-(t - 1) - (1/2)e^-2(t - 2))

but this is correct only if t > 2, so I don't understand why I get that when I try to solve for 1 < t < 2

Jonas E said:
I have now tried that for both (f * g) and (g * f), but in both cases I get the correct answer for case 3 (t > 2), when I'm trying to solve for case 2:

(f * g) = ∫[ e^(-τ) - e^(-2τ) ] * [ u(t - τ - 1) - u(t - τ - 2)]dτ

I find that for case 2:

t - τ - 1 > 0 Λ t - τ - 2 < 0

which gives me:

t - 2 < τ < t - 1

So the integral becomes:

[ -e^(-τ) + (1/2)e^(-2τ) ] from (t - 2) to (t - 1) = e^-(t - 2) - (1/2)e^-2(t - 2) - (e^-(t - 1) - (1/2)e^-2(t - 2))

but this is correct only if t > 2, so I don't understand why I get that when I try to solve for 1 < t < 2

I don't see why you want to use convolutions, instead of just applying standard properties of Laplace transforms to get an easily-recognized form of inverse Laplace transform. However, if you insist on using convolutions you will have
[tex] y(t) = \int_0^t f(t - \tau) r(\tau) \, d \tau = \underbrace{\int_0^t f(t-\tau) u(\tau-1) \, d\tau}_{= I_1} -
\underbrace{\int_0^t f(t-\tau) u(\tau-2) \, d\tau}_{= I_2} [/tex]
For ##t \leq 1## we have ##I_1 = 0## because the ##u##-factor vanishes. For ##t > 1## we have ##I_1 = \int_1^t f(t-\tau) \, d \tau##, etc. The term ##I_2## is similar.

Related to Is there a mistake in my calculation or in my reasoning?

1. What should I do if I suspect a mistake in my calculation or reasoning?

If you have a suspicion that there may be a mistake in your calculation or reasoning, the best course of action is to double check your work. This means going through your calculations and reasoning step by step to identify any errors. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your work and provide feedback.

2. How can I prevent mistakes in my calculations or reasoning?

One way to prevent mistakes in your calculations or reasoning is to use a structured approach, such as the scientific method. This involves forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. It is also important to double check your work and seek feedback from others.

3. What are some common mistakes to watch out for in calculations or reasoning?

Some common mistakes to watch out for in calculations or reasoning include using incorrect units, making calculation errors, misinterpreting data, and overlooking important variables. It is important to be thorough and meticulous in your work to avoid these types of mistakes.

4. How do I know if my calculation or reasoning is correct?

The best way to know if your calculation or reasoning is correct is to verify your results with other sources or methods. This is known as cross-checking and can help identify any errors or inconsistencies. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers or experts in the field can also help ensure the accuracy of your work.

5. What should I do if I discover a mistake in my calculation or reasoning after publishing my work?

If you discover a mistake in your calculation or reasoning after publishing your work, it is important to acknowledge and address the mistake as soon as possible. This can include issuing corrections or retractions, and providing an explanation for the error. It is also helpful to learn from the mistake and take steps to prevent similar errors in the future.