Is There a Finite Number of Solutions to Fermat's Last Theorem?

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses Fermat's last theorem and its proof that there are only a finite number of solutions to the equation a^n+b^n=c^n. A quote from an article explains that this was shown by Gerd Faltings in 1983. The conversation then questions how this can be true, and it is clarified that there is an unstated assumption that gcd(a,b,c)=1. This assumption was most likely true, and the theorem was considered important before Fermat's proof.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
I read in a book about Fermats last theorem that it has been proved that "if there are solutions to the equation a^n+b^n=c^n, then there are only a finite number of them". I searched this up and found this article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n12_v133/ai_6519267

A quote from the article states:

In 1983, Gerd Faltings, now at Princeton (N.J.) University, opened up a new direction in the search for a proof. As one consequence of his proof of the Mordell conjecture (SN: 7/23/83, p.58), he showed that if there are any solutions to Fermat's equations, then there are only a finite number of them for each value of n.

How can this be?
Suppose [tex]a_0, b_0[/tex] and [tex]c_0[/tex] are solutions to the equation [tex]a^n+b^n=c^n[/tex] for a specified n, i.e [tex]a_0^n+b_0^n=c_0^n[/tex]. But by multiplying by [tex]k^n[/tex] where k is a natural number larger than 1 yields [tex](a_0k)^n+(b_0k)^n=(c_0k)^n[/tex] which is a different solution. This is true for all values of k larger than 1, so I cannot see how the theorem is true.

Please clarify!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's (probably) the unstated assumption that gcd(a,b,c)=1.

Yes, I thought of that, but I didn't see it anywhere. It is most likely true though.

There are 0 solutions, so it is definitely (not most likely) true!

Of course =), but before fermats was proven this theorem was probably of importance.

Related to Is There a Finite Number of Solutions to Fermat's Last Theorem?

1. What is the theorem about Fermat's last?

The theorem about Fermat's last is a statement first proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. This is also known as Fermat's Last Theorem or FLT.

2. Why is Fermat's last theorem important?

Fermat's last theorem is considered one of the most famous and significant unsolved problems in mathematics. Its proof has eluded mathematicians for centuries and has led to the development of new mathematical techniques and theories. It has also inspired many mathematicians to try and solve the theorem, leading to numerous groundbreaking discoveries in the field.

3. Has Fermat's last theorem been proven?

Yes, in 1995, British mathematician Andrew Wiles presented a proof for Fermat's last theorem after working on it for several years. The proof was widely accepted by the mathematical community and has been peer-reviewed and published in several scientific journals.

4. What was the significance of Andrew Wiles' proof?

Wiles' proof of Fermat's last theorem was a major milestone in mathematics, as it solved a problem that had been unsolved for over 300 years. It also brought attention to the field of number theory and showed the potential of using modern mathematical techniques to solve long-standing problems.

5. Are there any applications of Fermat's last theorem?

Although Fermat's last theorem does not have any direct practical applications, its proof has led to advancements in many areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, elliptic curves, and modular forms. It has also inspired further research into other mathematical problems and theories.