Fermat´s Last theorem - book by Simon Singh

In summary, the conversation discusses Fermat's Last Theorem and the ambiguity of the term "whole number" in relation to finding solutions. The author does not clarify that only non-trivial solutions are being considered, leading to a small subtlety in the precision of mathematics. The conversation also mentions a dwarf integer and the frustration of needing to meet a minimum character requirement.
CAF123
Gold Member
I have been reading Fermat´s Last Theorem by Simon Singh and I noticed throughout he writes that the theorem states that there are no whole number solutions to x^n + y^n = z^n where n is greater than or equal to 3.
What about the trivial solns such as x =0, y=1 and z=1 etc?
Is this what the author means by no solutions, by ´not counting´these solns?
If so, I find it ironic that Singh continually makes the point that mathematics is a very precise subject and yet there is a small subtlety here.
Many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The key point is that, as you say, you need a whole number solution. Zero isn't a whole number, and so it can't be in a solution.

Mark M said:
The key point is that, as you say, you need a whole number solution. Zero isn't a whole number, and so it can't be in a solution.

Zero will be very disappointed to hear of its expulsion from the integers.

Of course "whole number" is ambiguous, referring variously to positive integers, nonnegative integers, and integers. FLT refers to positive integers, which resolves the OP's concern.

CAF123 said:
I have been reading Fermat´s Last Theorem by Simon Singh and I noticed throughout he writes that the theorem states that there are no whole number solutions to x^n + y^n = z^n where n is greater than or equal to 3.
What about the trivial solns such as x =0, y=1 and z=1 etc?
Is this what the author means by no solutions, by ´not counting´these solns?
If so, I find it ironic that Singh continually makes the point that mathematics is a very precise subject and yet there is a small subtlety here.
Many thanks

I was checking and yes: Singh comits the sin of lack of definition. In higher mathematics it is customary to state

FLT just like he does but with the understanding what we're talking about non-trivial solutions, which

are precisely the ones you mention. You can googloe FLT and find the correct statement in many sites, of course.

DonAntonio

SteveL27 said:
Zero will be very disappointed to hear of its expulsion from the integers.
-------------------------------------

It's a dwarf integer.

Dammit, why does it complain that my message is too short?
Here I'm trying to post a witty response and I have to put up with this crap. Dammit, still need 4 more characters. Oh wait, I just realizes, my message was too short - it's a dwarf reply!

What is happening?

Related to Fermat´s Last theorem - book by Simon Singh

1. What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical problem that states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. This theorem was first proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century.

2. Who wrote the book "Fermat's Last Theorem"?

The book "Fermat's Last Theorem" was written by Simon Singh, a British author and science journalist. He is best known for his popular science books and documentaries.

3. What is the significance of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem has been called the "holy grail of mathematics" because it remained unsolved for over 350 years. Its proof requires advanced mathematical concepts and techniques, making it one of the most challenging and famous problems in mathematics.

4. What is the content of the book "Fermat's Last Theorem"?

The book "Fermat's Last Theorem" not only explains the history and significance of the theorem but also delves into the lives of mathematicians who attempted to solve it. It also covers the mathematical concepts and techniques involved in proving the theorem, making it accessible to non-mathematicians.

5. Has Fermat's Last Theorem been proven?

Yes, in 1995, British mathematician Andrew Wiles provided a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem using advanced mathematical concepts. His proof was later verified by other mathematicians, and the theorem is now considered to be proven. It remains a significant achievement in the field of mathematics.