Is there a difference between negative acceleration and retardation

In summary, acceleration is a vector quantity and its sign is given with respect to the chosen positive direction. Retardation or deceleration is connected to speed. A body decelerates if it slows down, that is, its speed is decreasing.
PhysicsStudnt
Kindly elaborate on the difference between negative acceleration and retardation...if they are different

Physics news on Phys.org
Say if body is moving backwards / in negative direction and with a decreasing velocity, do we consider it as negative(negative (acceleration)) = positive acceleration...?

Acceleration is a vector quantity and its sign is given with respect to the chosen positive direction. Retardation or deceleration is connected to speed. A body decelerates if it slows down, that is, its speed is decreasing.
The acceleration is positive when a body travels to the negative direction with decreasing speed. Remember that acceleration is defined as (change of velocity) over (time taken): a= (v(t+Δt)-v(t))/Δt at the limit Δt→0. Both v and a are vectors.
If the body travels along the negative x axis, v(t)<0. If it decelerates, |v(t+Δt)|<|v(t)|, so v(t+Δt)>v(t). (v(t+Δt)-v(t))/Δt >0

ehild

Thank you Ehild for helping me out with my doubt...i also reffered some youtube videos...what i infered was that, if acceleration occurs in the same direction of velocity, and displacement, the particle will speed up...and if its moving in negative direction, all 3 quantities are bound to be negative...but when acceleration is in the direction opposite to the motion, or velocity, the particle will slow down...that is when we call it retardation...
And i believe it is connected with net unbalanced force...when net unbalanced force is in opposite direction of motion, the particle is eventually bound to slow down and stop...and if net unbalanced force is in the same direction as that of motion, the particle will gain more speed...and that could be in the negative direction too...
This is what i infer...
once again thank you soo much for the timeyou spent in answering my question...god bless you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gracy

Yes, there is a difference between negative acceleration and retardation. Negative acceleration is a decrease in speed or velocity over time, while retardation is a decrease in speed or velocity caused by a force acting in the opposite direction.

In other words, negative acceleration refers to a change in velocity in the same direction as the initial velocity, but at a decreasing rate. This can be seen in scenarios such as a car gradually slowing down while applying the brakes or a ball thrown upwards and eventually falling back down due to the force of gravity.

On the other hand, retardation is a change in velocity in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. This can be observed in situations where a force acts against the motion of an object, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. For example, a car moving forward and then suddenly hitting the brakes, causing it to slow down or stop.

In terms of their mathematical representation, negative acceleration is denoted as a negative value in equations, while retardation is represented by a negative force acting on the object.

In summary, while both negative acceleration and retardation involve a decrease in speed or velocity, they differ in the direction of the change and the cause of the decrease. Negative acceleration is a decrease in velocity in the same direction, while retardation is a decrease in velocity caused by a force acting in the opposite direction.

Related to Is there a difference between negative acceleration and retardation

What is negative acceleration?

Negative acceleration is the decrease in the velocity of an object over time. It is also known as deceleration or slowing down.

What is retardation?

Retardation is the decrease in the velocity of an object over time. It is essentially the same as negative acceleration.

Is there a difference between negative acceleration and retardation?

No, there is no difference between negative acceleration and retardation. Both terms refer to the decrease in velocity of an object over time.

How is negative acceleration/retardation measured?

Negative acceleration/retardation can be measured by calculating the change in velocity over a specific time interval, using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What are some examples of negative acceleration/retardation in real life?

Examples of negative acceleration/retardation in real life include a car slowing down when the brakes are applied, a ball rolling to a stop on a flat surface, and a rocket slowing down as it re-enters the Earth's atmosphere.