Calculate Retarding Force of 50kg & 6kg Objects

• Thread starter Taidhg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: I stated in the original post that the object is in free fall. The question is about a pile driver falling onto a pile but I usually ignore those details.
Taidhg
Member has been warned not to remove the template.
1. An object with a mass of 50kg is raised vertically 4 meters above an object of 6kg and then is allowed to fall freely onto the object into the ground. Both objects travel into the ground to a depth of 24cm without rebounding.
Calculate the retarding force causing both objects to come to rest.

KE/GPE = mgh = 0.5m v2

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? The relevant equation that you wrote is wrong.

Chandra Prayaga said:
What have you done so far? The relevant equation that you wrote is wrong.
I've calculated the velocity upon the objects impact which is 1.476 m/s2
I also have calculated the GPE before it falls which is 1962J and the kinetic energy upon impact which is 1961.33J
I just don't see how I am meant to calculate this last question.

In all such problems, you should draw a diagram, labeling the different positions. Similarly, label the two balls as A and B. For example, the initial position , with ball A at the top of its path and ball B on the ground can be called position 1. The position just before impact is called 2, and the final position after the two balls sink and come to rest together is called 3.

Your unit for velocity is wrong.
Do you think the kinetic energy in position 2 should be different from the potential energy in position 1?
What information do you need to calculate the last part? How can you get that information?

Please show your calculations in detail.

Chandra Prayaga said:
In all such problems, you should draw a diagram, labeling the different positions. Similarly, label the two balls as A and B. For example, the initial position , with ball A at the top of its path and ball B on the ground can be called position 1. The position just before impact is called 2, and the final position after the two balls sink and come to rest together is called 3.

Your unit for velocity is wrong.
Do you think the kinetic energy in position 2 should be different from the potential energy in position 1?
What information do you need to calculate the last part? How can you get that information?
I really don't know what information I need for the last part that's the issue. I know that the energy used in response to stop the objects will obviously be equal but I've never worked with retarding forces before.

Taidhg said:
I've never worked with retarding forces before
How about friction?

gneill said:
How about friction?
I stated in the original post that the object is in free fall. The question is about a pile driver falling onto a pile but I usually ignore those details.

Taidhg said:
I stated in the original post that the object is in free fall. The question is about a pile driver falling onto a pile but I usually ignore those details.
After the collision occurs, the objects are not in free-fall. The ground is impeding their progress. Friction.

Taidhg said:
I've calculated the velocity upon the objects impact which is 1.476 m/s2
Please show your calculation.
Taidhg said:
I also have calculated the GPE before it falls which is 1962J and the kinetic energy upon impact which is 1961.33J
Why are they different?

Taidhg said:
the energy used in response to stop the objects will obviously be equal
The energy taken by the retarding force in bringing them to rest will not be equal to the initial GPE. There is energy lost in the impact itself. Have you worked with impacts before?

Related to Calculate Retarding Force of 50kg & 6kg Objects

1. What is the formula for calculating retarding force?

The formula for calculating retarding force is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do you calculate the mass of the objects?

The mass of an object can be calculated by dividing its weight (in Newtons) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In this case, the mass of the 50kg and 6kg objects would be 50kg = 50N/9.8m/s^2 = 5.1kg and 6kg = 6N/9.8m/s^2 = 0.61kg.

3. What is the unit of measurement for retarding force?

The unit of measurement for retarding force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kilograms x meters per second squared (kg*m/s^2).

4. How do you determine the acceleration of the objects?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass of the object. In this case, the acceleration of the 50kg and 6kg objects would be a = 50N/5.1kg = 9.8m/s^2 and a = 6N/0.61kg = 9.8m/s^2.

5. Can you calculate retarding force if the mass and acceleration are not given?

No, retarding force cannot be calculated without knowing the mass and acceleration of the object. These two variables are necessary components in the formula for calculating retarding force.