Is there a difference between a physist and a physicist?

In summary, a coworker told the speaker that her husband was only a "physist" because he hadn't yet graduated, but once he gets his degree, he will be a physicist. The speaker was unable to find any information about the term "physist" on Google. It is possible that the coworker's husband was joking when he used this term.
Newai
I don't know if I'm even spelling these right. A coworker told me her husband was only a "physist" because he hadn't yet graduated. Once he gets his degree, then he'll be a physicist. Does this make sense? I can't get anything off Google about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not make sense, since physicist is not a word.

Newai said:
I don't know if I'm even spelling these right. A coworker told me her husband was only a "physist" because he hadn't yet graduated. Once he gets his degree, then he'll be a physicist. Does this make sense? I can't get anything off Google about it.
I think that was probably intended as a joke.

Okay then, thank you.

Grep said:
I think that was probably intended as a joke.
She was completely serious.

Newai said:
She was completely serious.
Well, that just makes it even funnier. :biggrin:

Perhaps the husband said that to his wife as a joke, and she completely fell for it!

Related to Is there a difference between a physist and a physicist?

1. What is the difference between a physist and a physicist?

A physist is a misspelling of the word physicist. They both refer to a scientist who studies the laws and principles governing matter and energy.

2. Is there a difference in the education or training required for a physist and a physicist?

No, the education and training required for a physist and a physicist are the same. Both typically have a degree in physics or a related field.

3. Can a physist and a physicist work in the same field?

Yes, since they both refer to the same profession, a physist and a physicist can work in the same field and collaborate on research and projects.

4. Are there any differences in the job responsibilities of a physist and a physicist?

No, the job responsibilities of a physist and a physicist are the same. Both are expected to conduct research, analyze data, and communicate their findings to others.

5. Is the term "physist" ever used interchangeably with "physicist"?

While "physist" is a misspelling of "physicist", it may be used interchangeably in certain informal contexts. However, it is always best to use the correct spelling of "physicist" in a professional or academic setting.