Is there a correlation between vehicle size and masculinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
In summary: Laugh)In summary, the video discusses the differences between American and European cars. American cars are designed for ruggedness and power, while European cars are designed for elegance and smoothness. American cars are more popular in the US, but European cars are more popular in Europe.
Amer
I found a nice video

The strange thing is 60% thinks it is A.
I think we are somehow unique people :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Fools. That's why you need number theory, suckers; never heard of Pythagorean triple did ya? (Tongueout)

Amer said:
I think we are somehow unique people

Seems so true.

Amer said:

unique = there is only one

mathbalarka said:
Fools. That's why you need number theory, suckers; never heard of Pythagorean triple did ya? (Tongueout)

Seems so true.

Yea hih,
zzephod said:
unique = there is only one

I think we are countable :)

Amer said:
I found a nice video

The strange thing is 60% thinks it is A.

Although the intent of the question is clear, but all options are correct if you interpret 'number' as 'real number'.

caffeinemachine said:
Although the intent of the question is clear, but all options are correct if you interpret 'number' as 'real number'.

A is the correct answer as most of the audience surmises (50%).
The most square number is 8 due to its shape on an LCD display.
And 16 = 8 + 8.
Furthermore, the 6 in 16 also contains a sort of square shape, and it is clearly a larger number.

If by "square number" we mean the number represented by the square (i.e., 4), and by "sum" we mean the disjoint union (as is typical in set theory), then the only number which qualifies is 8, which is not among the choices. Unfair.

Is this video trying to tell us that the ability to add two numbers is now worth $8000? Seriously, even if you don't immediately know that (9, 16, 25) is a Pythagorean triple, all you need to do is recall (or calculate) the first few square numbers, and try to add them together pairwise to obtain something that's in the list of choices. How hard can it be?

Also, how exactly does nearly three fourths of the audience not know the answer? This makes me sad...

Last edited:
In today's society it is "OK" to not know how to add, heck: even proper spelling is seen as "a bit geeky".

Deveno said:
In today's society it is "OK" to not know how to add, heck: even proper spelling is seen as "a bit geeky".
Eye dsigry wit dat.

-Dan

mathbalarka said:
We would you expect us to did heard of Pythagorean triple! :p

Illiteracy is seen as a sad thing, but innumeracy is quite acceptable, even preferable, to the masses (at least in my neck of the woods).

'round these parts, a "real man" has no call fer no fancy cipherin'. (Shake)

MarkFL said:
Illiteracy is seen as a sad thing, but innumeracy is quite acceptable, even preferable, to the masses (at least in my neck of the woods).

'round these parts, a "real man" has no call fer no fancy cipherin'. (Shake)
Are "real men" more interested in fast cars than fancy numbers? (Tongueout)

Attachments

• 4liypu.jpg
    4liypu.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 57
Opalg said:
Are "real men" more interested in fast cars than fancy numbers? (Tongueout)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2221​

Yes, they certainly are...in fact the supreme vehicle around here for the knuckle dragging crowd is the truck, huge tires and covered in mud. I prefer smooth dry pavement, relatively low drag coefficients and high power to weight ratios, so that puts me on the fringe of the "real men" from the very start. Couple that with my understanding of the relationship between power and torque and gearing and I am an outcast, regarded with suspicion. (Tongueout)

If I drove a European car, I'd be run out of town on a rail. (Emo)

Is it getting a bit hot around here? :p

MarkFL said:
Yes, they certainly are...in fact the supreme vehicle around here for the knuckle dragging crowd is the truck, huge tires and covered in mud. I prefer smooth dry pavement, relatively low drag coefficients and high power to weight ratios, so that puts me on the fringe of the "real men" from the very start. Couple that with my understanding of the relationship between power and torque and gearing and I am an outcast, regarded with suspicion. (Tongueout)

If I drove a European car, I'd be run out of town on a rail. (Emo)

Well you know what they say: the bigger the truck, the smaller the man's...capacitor.

Related to Is there a correlation between vehicle size and masculinity?

What does it mean when people say that knowing math can cost much?

When people say that knowing math can cost much, they are referring to the fact that learning and mastering mathematical concepts and skills often requires a significant investment of time, effort, and resources. This can include formal education, tutoring, and other learning materials.

Why is it important to understand math?

Understanding math is important because it is a fundamental tool for problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making in many areas of life. It also helps develop analytical and logical reasoning skills that are valuable in various professions and everyday situations.

Is math difficult to learn?

Math can be challenging for some people, but with dedication, practice, and effective learning strategies, anyone can learn and improve their math skills. It is important to approach math with a positive attitude and seek help when needed.

What are some practical applications of math?

Math has numerous practical applications in fields such as science, engineering, technology, finance, and economics. It is used in everyday tasks such as budgeting, cooking, and shopping, as well as in more complex tasks like data analysis and predicting trends.

Can I succeed in a career without knowing math?

While it is possible to have a successful career without advanced math skills, having a basic understanding of math is essential in many job fields. It is also important to continuously learn and improve math skills throughout one's career as the use of math is constantly evolving and expanding.