Is there a Constant-Watt Test Load for Human-Power Generators?

• Thread starter almson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Test
In summary: Many switching power supplies are rated for AC or DC input voltages (for obvious reasons). Check the datasheets for the minimum input voltages. What output power levels are you looking for?I am looking for something in the 15-50W range.You might be able to find a switching power supply that is rated for the lower voltage range.
almson
Is there such a thing that can be bought? Are there schematics/BOMs to make one?

Reason I ask is that I'm designing a human-power generator (think bicycle with an alternator) and I need a way to test it. What I'd like is a "watt sink" -- a device that draws a set amount of power, independent of the voltage (which will vary with alternator RPM).

Engineering news on Phys.org
almson said:
Is there such a thing that can be bought? Are there schematics/BOMs to make one?

Reason I ask is that I'm designing a human-power generator (think bicycle with an alternator) and I need a way to test it. What I'd like is a "watt sink" -- a device that draws a set amount of power, independent of the voltage (which will vary with alternator RPM).

Welcome to the PF. A switching power supply would be a good initial choice. If it has reasonably high conversion efficiency > 90% or so and the efficiency doesn't vary much with the load current, you can hook whatever power resistor is appropriate for your power load to it, and it will sink a fairly constant power.

Ack, beat me to the punch again, waht!

Ahh, $500 for the BK Precision 8540 is too much.

But a switching power supply is a really good idea. Let me look around for a good one, especially one that will put out something cool like the 19.5V that a Dell laptop takes. Btw, do you think there's any danger of feeding it too little voltage or otherwise hooking it up directly to an alternator?

almson said:
Ahh, $500 for the BK Precision 8540 is too much.

But a switching power supply is a really good idea. Let me look around for a good one, especially one that will put out something cool like the 19.5V that a Dell laptop takes. Btw, do you think there's any danger of feeding it too little voltage or otherwise hooking it up directly to a [rectified] alternator?

Many switching power supplies are rated for AC or DC input voltages (for obvious reasons). Check the datasheets for the minimum input voltages.

What output power levels are you looking for?

I am looking for something in the 15-50W range.

Checking on mouser, the "switching power supplies" section is slim pickings, but "DC/DC converters" has a lot of things. In particular, a dozen can take 3-13.5V (the prefect range for my alternator) with some handling 100W. Unfortunately, almost no Mouser DC/DC converter outputs 19.5V, and this particular dozen doesn't can't even put out 12V for a car inverter. But, they look like they'd work great as test loads.

http://www.mouser.com/Power/DC-DC-Converters-Regulators/_/N-5gc7?P=1yzxl5hZ1yzxl40Z1yzxl5m

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is there a Constant-Watt Test Load for Human-Power Generators?

What is a constant-watt test load?

A constant-watt test load is a device used in electrical testing to simulate a constant electrical load, typically in the form of heat. It is designed to maintain a constant wattage output regardless of the voltage or current input.

What is the purpose of a constant-watt test load?

The purpose of a constant-watt test load is to test the performance and stability of electrical systems, such as power supplies or batteries. It allows for consistent and repeatable testing, as the load remains constant regardless of variations in voltage or current.

How is a constant-watt test load different from other types of test loads?

Unlike other types of test loads, such as resistive or inductive loads, a constant-watt test load does not depend on the input voltage or current to determine the load. Instead, it maintains a constant wattage output, making it more suitable for testing the performance of various electrical systems.

What are the advantages of using a constant-watt test load?

One advantage of using a constant-watt test load is its ability to simulate a consistent and predictable load, making it useful for testing and troubleshooting electrical systems. It also allows for easy comparison of results between different tests and eliminates the need for frequent adjustments of the load during testing.

What are some common applications of a constant-watt test load?

Constant-watt test loads are commonly used in industries such as power generation, aerospace, and automotive for testing and evaluating the performance of electrical systems. They are also used in research and development to test and validate new electrical components and systems.