Is the Terrafugia Transition the Future of Transportation?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Flying
In summary, the Terrafugia Transition is a step closer to reality. It costs $194,000, and has FAA approval as a light aircraft. It is practical for business people and long-commuters, and can land at any municipal air strip.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Flying Car a Step Closer to Reality
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93804?fp=1

The Terrafugia Transition.

If one has a spare $194,000 + TTL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see two sides to this. 1) If I had 70 people lined up wishing to pay me 150K apiece, I'd be very happy to provide.

2) The ideal flying car doesn't do a lot of driving. If it can fly, why drive? It can park where you want it ; is capable of vertical takeoff, will taxi to the gas pump, and there aren't hords of others who have one, so you don't have to worry about them buzzing about in your airspace.

Yay, texting people falling from the sky.

One point of clarification, it's not a flying car. It's a roadable airplane.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

Cyrus said:
One point of clarification, it's not a flying car. It's a roadable airplane.

That was my first idea after seeing the video.

My second idea was that in reality it will be probably useless as both plane and car :devil:

James bond would feel like an idiot makeing a get-a-way in this thing. And some of his flying contraptions weren't that much to look at either.

Detective Gadget on the other hand...

I'm probably being a bit stupid but surely you wouldn't have clearance just to fly to work/ around the world just off the cuff with this? Or maybe you can ?

Why some people come up with such stupid stupid ideas? The Airplane has been invented, and so has car. What purpose does it serve to humanity to combine them in one?

Here are more stupid gadgets:

1.jpg

pizzacutters07.jpg

Desiree said:
Why some people come up with such stupid stupid ideas? The Airplane has been invented, and so has car. What purpose does it serve to humanity to combine them in one?

Here are more stupid gadgets:

1.jpg

pizzacutters07.jpg

You forgot to add

[PLAIN]http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif

And numerous other great mixtures (Phone/MP3 player).

I don't know, this could be useful, it would certainly get me to college/London a lot quicker than the train! And it would mean no checking in for flights =P.

Chewy0087 said:
You forgot to add

[PLAIN]http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif

And numerous other great mixtures (Phone/MP3 player)...

:smile:

I would agree, but now that I have it I'll make sure that I get my money's worth out of it. :devil:

My friend is just finishing up a 6 month co op (through our school) with these guys. Can't wait to here all about it!

What makes this different than the other flying cars that we've seen?

1). It has FAA approval as a light aircraft
1a). It doesn't require a regular pilot's license to operate
2). Approved for road use
3). Relatively inexpensive

I can see this being very handy for some business people and long-commuters. It could be worth its weight in gold for someone who, for example, commutes 180 miles each day into and through Los Angeles traffic. The ability to land at any municipal air strip makes it quite practical.

I wonder how many would have to be built before owners started demanding special freeway entrance ramps that looked like this?

P1240512.JPG

I just realized that this would never work. There are too many people who blindly follow the car in front of them while they are on their cellphone. Lots of people would be driving off the end of the ramps during takeoffs. :rolleyes:

Borg said:
I just realized that this would never work. There are too many people who blindly follow the car in front of them while they are on their cellphone. Lots of people would be driving off the end of the ramps during takeoffs. :rolleyes:

:smile: good one

Related to Is the Terrafugia Transition the Future of Transportation?

1. What is the Terrafugia Transition?

The Terrafugia Transition is a roadable aircraft, meaning it is a vehicle that can be driven on roads like a car and also flown like a small airplane.

2. How does the Terrafugia Transition work?

The Terrafugia Transition has wings that can fold up and retract, allowing it to be driven on roads. When it is ready to fly, the wings can be unfolded and the propeller can be activated for take-off.

3. What makes the Terrafugia Transition unique?

The Terrafugia Transition is unique because it combines the convenience of a car with the speed and freedom of a small aircraft. It also has advanced safety features and a sleek, modern design.

4. Is the Terrafugia Transition the future of transportation?

While the Terrafugia Transition is an innovative and exciting mode of transportation, it is unlikely to replace traditional cars and airplanes in the near future. It is currently a niche market and may face challenges in terms of regulations and infrastructure.

5. What are the potential benefits of the Terrafugia Transition?

The Terrafugia Transition has the potential to revolutionize personal transportation by reducing travel time and providing more flexibility in travel plans. It could also have environmental benefits by reducing traffic congestion and emissions from traditional modes of transportation.