Is the sum of 1/n to infinity as n = 1 thread closed for moderation?

• Thread starter nirky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the sum of 1/n to infinity, also known as the harmonic series, which is divergent. However, it is mentioned that the series may converge if the exponent k is larger than 1. The conversation also touches on using the integral test to prove divergence, and provides an example of how the series can be seen as diverging using rectangles. The conversation is then closed for moderation.
nirky
Member warned about posting apparent homework in a technical forum section

• ∑ (1/n)
  • n=1
The sum of 1/n to infinity as n =1

Physics news on Phys.org
The series is divergent.

That's called harmonic series and it is divergent as jbstemp said. But on the other hand, ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{k}}## converges if ##k## is any number larger than 1.

jbstemp said:
The series is divergent.
Thanks jbstemp.

hilbert2 said:
That's called harmonic series and it is divergent as jbstemp said. But on the other hand, ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{k}}## converges if ##k## is any number larger than 1.
Thanks hilbert2 but could you explain the question I asked in more details?

nirky said:
Thanks hilbert2 but could you explain the question I asked in more details?
Maybe tell the steps to it and does it have any awnser?

What kind of answer do you want? You have already been told the series is "divergent" which means that the infinite sum does not have any finite answer. You could prove that using the "integral test". We can extend the sum to all x rather than just integer n by using the continuous variable "x" rather than just the integer "n".
Looking at a graph of y= 1/x, you can see that the curve, between x= n and x= n+ 1, lies below the horizontal line 1/n. That tells is that the area under the curve, the integral, is less than the sum of the area of rectangles having width 1 and height 1/n, the sum of 1/n.

That area is given by [itex]\int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x} dx= \left[ln(x)\right]_1^\infty[/itex] but that improper integral has no answer since ln(x) has no limit as x goes to infinity. There is no finite "area under the curve" so there can be no finite area of the rectangles which would be larger.

Another way of seeing divergence.
1+1/2+(1/3+1/4)+(1/5+1/6+1/7+1/8)+(1/9+1/10+1/11+1/12+1/13+1/14+1/15+1/16)+...>1+1/2+1/2+1/2+1/2+...

Thread closed for Moderation...

Related to Is the sum of 1/n to infinity as n = 1 thread closed for moderation?

What does "Can anyone help me with this?" mean?

"Can anyone help me with this?" is a request for assistance or support with a particular task or problem. It implies that the person asking the question is seeking assistance from someone else.

Why do people ask for help?

People may ask for help when they are struggling with a task or problem and need assistance from someone with more knowledge or experience. Asking for help can also save time and effort, as someone else may already have a solution or be able to offer guidance.

Who can help me with this?

The answer to this question depends on the specific task or problem at hand. It could be a friend, family member, coworker, or even a professional in a particular field. Anyone who has knowledge or experience related to the task can potentially offer assistance.

How can I ask for help effectively?

To ask for help effectively, it is important to be clear and specific about what you need assistance with. Provide as much information as possible and be open to suggestions or feedback. It is also important to be polite and grateful for any help that is offered.

What if no one can help me with this?

If you are unable to find someone who can help with your task or problem, there are other resources available such as online forums, tutorials, or consulting a professional. It is also important to remember that sometimes it may take multiple attempts or approaches to find a solution, and it's okay to ask for help again if needed.