Is the Speed of Sound the Limit of Cause and Effect in a Medium?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of sound as the maximum speed of cause and effect within a specific medium, with the speed of light being the maximum speed in the universe. However, the conversation also brings up examples such as lasers and shock waves which challenge this idea. It is concluded that the speed of sound in a medium is not a unique speed, but rather a distribution or function.
1MileCrash
Lately I've been thinking of c as the maximum speed of cause and effect in the universe, and the speed of sound as the maximum speed of cause and effect within/for that specific medium.

Is it correct to say that if i had an iron bar as a lever, and i threw on end down, the other end would not travel up immediatelly, that there would be a lag between the two actions, the speed of sound through iron?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can send signals that travel faster then sound in pretty much any medium. So no the speed of sound in some medium does not set any causality limitations in that medium.

If you only consider mechanical interactions, then yes, you can consider speed of sound as the limiting speed for cause-effect propagation. Though something like piezoelectric effect might throw a bar into that logic.

bp_psy said:
You can send signals that travel faster then sound in pretty much any medium. So no the speed of sound in some medium does not set any causality limitations in that medium.

Signals that differ from the medium itself though?

Could i send a movement through a medium and it reach its destination faster than the speed of sound through that medium? If i swing a wooden bat, the part closest to my hands must start moving before the end of the bat, or else we have information traveling faster than the speed of light. So what speed does the "information" of me swinging the bat pass through the bat itself? I presumed it to be the speed of sound through the bat.

We have supersonic bullets and airplanes, for example...

russ_watters said:
We have supersonic bullets and airplanes, for example...

That is not movement of the medium itself. Mechanical changes exhibited in the air itself are limited by the speed of sound through air. That's why we get a sonic boom at mach 1.

1MileCrash said:
Lately I've been thinking of c as the maximum speed of cause and effect in the universe

I agree.

1MileCrash said:
, and the speed of sound as the maximum speed of cause and effect within/for that specific medium.

Ehh... Not so sure. An example is a laser crystal, in which an emitted photon on one end could stimulate an emission on the other end, such that the time interval between both events would be determined by the speed of light within the medium, not the speed of sound. Now it would be a good idea for someone to verify this with standard solid state and laser emission theory, because at some point there is a relation between speed of sound and speed of light in a medium. I just don't recall at the moment what it is. Remember also that frequencies travel at different speeds, so the "speed of sound" is not a unique speed, but some distribution or function.

1MileCrash said:
Is it correct to say that if i had an iron bar as a lever, and i threw on end down, the other end would not travel up immediatelly, that there would be a lag between the two actions, the speed of sound through iron?

Yes.

1MileCrash said:
That is not movement of the medium itself. Mechanical changes exhibited in the air itself are limited by the speed of sound through air. That's why we get a sonic boom at mach 1.
The example's off, of course. The airplane doesn't move through the medium at supersonic speeds. It creates a shock-wave, so that local air speed is sub-sonic, but he brings up a good point. Shock-wave itself travels at supersonic speeds through the medium, even without the object that started it. Think shock-wave from the explosion. It propagates at speeds faster than Mach 1, so it can cause destructive effect from the cause that was too recent for your hypothesis.

Seems that we were both wrong.

Related to Is the Speed of Sound the Limit of Cause and Effect in a Medium?

1. What is the definition of incorrect thinking?

Incorrect thinking refers to thought processes or beliefs that are not supported by evidence or logical reasoning. It can also refer to thoughts that are maladaptive or harmful.

2. How can I identify incorrect thinking?

There are several signs that can indicate incorrect thinking, such as relying on personal biases or emotions rather than facts, jumping to conclusions without evidence, and holding rigid beliefs that cannot be changed by new information.

3. What are some common types of incorrect thinking?

Some common types of incorrect thinking include confirmation bias, where individuals seek out information that supports their existing beliefs, and black-and-white thinking, where individuals see things as either completely right or completely wrong without considering nuance or gray areas.

4. Why is it important to correct incorrect thinking?

Incorrect thinking can lead to poor decision-making, conflict with others, and negative emotions such as anxiety and anger. By correcting incorrect thinking, individuals can improve their critical thinking skills, make more informed choices, and maintain healthier relationships.

5. How can I challenge my own incorrect thinking?

One way to challenge incorrect thinking is to gather and evaluate evidence that supports or contradicts the thought. Additionally, seeking out different perspectives and considering alternative explanations can help individuals identify any flaws in their thinking. It can also be helpful to examine the underlying emotions and beliefs that may be influencing the thought.