Is the Set of Polynomials of Degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3 a Vector Space?

In summary, we are asked to determine if the set of polynomials of degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3 is a vector space. After attempting to find a basis and dimension, it is discovered that there is a closure problem and the set fails to be a vector space. Further analysis is required to fully understand the issue.
kq6up

Homework Statement

For each of the following sets, either verify (as in Example 1) that it is a vector space, or show which requirements are not satisfied. If it is a vector space, find a basis and the dimension of the space.

6. Polynomials of degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I put that it was a vector space with the basis of {1,x,x^2,3*x^3,x^4,x^5,x^6} and dimension of 7. I am not sure why it fails to be a vector space.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you add two members of the given set, or if you multiply a member by a scalar?

I think there is a closure problem because one would not be able to get rid of the 3*x^3 by playing with coefficients.

I will have to think about it a little more.

Chris

kq6up said:
I think there is a closure problem ##\ldots##
Definitely.

Likes 1 person

Related to Is the Set of Polynomials of Degree ≤ 6 with a3 = 3 a Vector Space?

What is a "Not a Vector Space"?

A "Not a Vector Space" is a set of objects that do not satisfy the axioms and properties of a vector space. In other words, it is a collection of elements that do not follow the rules of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

What are the axioms of a vector space?

The axioms of a vector space are a set of rules that must be satisfied in order for a set of objects to be considered a vector space. These include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, existence of a zero vector, and existence of additive inverses.

Why is it important to understand "Not a Vector Space"?

Understanding "Not a Vector Space" is important because it helps us identify and distinguish between sets that are and are not vector spaces. This knowledge can also help us identify where the axioms and properties of vector spaces break down, providing insight into the limitations of vector spaces and their applications.

Can a set be partially a vector space?

No, a set cannot be partially a vector space. A set must satisfy all of the axioms and properties of a vector space in order to be considered a vector space. If a set does not satisfy even one of the axioms, it is not a vector space.

What are some examples of "Not a Vector Space"?

Some examples of "Not a Vector Space" include the set of all real numbers with the operation of multiplication, the set of all integers with the operation of division, and the set of all polynomials with the operation of composition. These sets do not satisfy the axioms and properties of a vector space, making them "Not a Vector Space".