Is the sequence {n} convergent? (I'm thinking that it is not)

In summary, there is no specific formula to determine if a sequence is convergent, but there are tests and criteria that can be used. A convergent sequence approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence does not. A sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent, as it can only have one limit. The behavior of the terms in a sequence can greatly affect its convergence, with larger terms indicating divergence and smaller terms indicating convergence.
mmilton

Homework Statement

Is the sequence {n} convergent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that it is not convergent. I'm thinking that I could show this by a Proof by contradiction, but I am not certain. Am I going down the right route? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For:
[tex] a_n = n [/tex] As [tex] n-> \inf [/tex] clearly this number does not "converge" as it keeps getting bigger...

For a proof try showing that a_n+1 is always greater than a_n hence implying that it keep's getting bigger.

Related to Is the sequence {n} convergent? (I'm thinking that it is not)

1. Is there a specific formula to determine if a sequence is convergent?

No, there is not a specific formula to determine if a sequence is convergent. However, there are several tests and criteria that can be used to determine convergence, such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, and root test.

2. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single value as the sequence continues.

3. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. A sequence can only have one limit, so it can either approach a finite limit (convergent) or not approach any limit (divergent).

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence does not approach any limit. In other words, a convergent sequence has a specific end point, while a divergent sequence does not.

5. How does the behavior of the terms in a sequence affect its convergence?

The behavior of the terms in a sequence can greatly affect its convergence. For example, if the terms in a sequence are getting larger and larger, the sequence is likely divergent. On the other hand, if the terms are getting smaller and smaller, the sequence is more likely to be convergent.