Is The Selfish Gene Still Relevant in Evolutionary Science Today?

• Thread starter WWCY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gene
In summary: Memes might be a good way to think of adaptive phenotypes (phenotypes that are successful because they spread through populations).In summary, Dawkins' book is one of many that explores the origins of life and the phenomena of evolution. It has been updated and includes footnotes and prologues that discuss how the field has changed since it was first published. It is an interesting read for those with some understanding of evolutionary concepts.
WWCY
I'm thinking of getting this book as one of my proper introductory reads to evolution but I have one burning question: How does Prof Dawkins' book stand in terms of evidence? Are most of the ideas put forth in the book still standing strong today and most importantly, is it a worthwhile read?

It would be nice to have sources supporting your opinions (i.e reviews in scientific journals, research papers) and it'd be even nicer to have trained biologists providing opinions. A very big thank you to anyone who takes the time.

Biology news on Phys.org
It would be more worth your while to start with a textbook instead of popular science books. I'm not partial to his work myself.

Likes Evo
WWCY said:
I'm thinking of getting this book as one of my proper introductory reads to evolution but I have one burning question: How does Prof Dawkins' book stand in terms of evidence? Are most of the ideas put forth in the book still standing strong today and most importantly, is it a worthwhile read?

It would be nice to have sources supporting your opinions (i.e reviews in scientific journals, research papers) and it'd be even nicer to have trained biologists providing opinions. A very big thank you to anyone who takes the time.
This is not an introduction to evolution.

From a review in Nature
“Dawkins's ideas helped to explain what was going on inside genomes long before DNA sequencing became routine.”

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7587/full/529462a.html

If you do not understand evolution, we have a link here you should read to introduce yourself before getting into something more advanced that you may not be able to understand.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/learn-about-evolution-evolution-introduction.543950/

Likes WWCY, Buzz Bloom, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
'The Ancestor's Tale' would be a much better book if you want to understand evolution. I read it a couple of years ago and I thought it was very good,.

"The Selfish Gene" is not really about evolution as such; as far as I remember it mainly focuses on genes and DNA (It must be 20+ years since I read it).
Nor is it "only" a pop-sci book; it is one of very few books aimed at the general public (sort of) that also had impact on "proper" science. People sometimes forget that Dawkin's was (and perhaps is) not only a successful pop-sci author but also quite an influential scientist.

Likes WWCY, Evo and Buzz Bloom
I highly recommend the book - not as a scientific textbook, but as a general read. The copy I read a few year ago was an updated edition, and it looks like Dawkins recently released a 40th anniversary edition in 2016. In the updated editions, there are footnotes and prologues etc. that discuss how the field has changed since the original publication.

Likes WWCY, Evo and Buzz Bloom
I like The Selfish Gene a lot, but as was stated above, it is not a beginner's book on evolution.
If you already have a introductory understanding of evolutionary concepts, it can be very illuminating as an alternative way of thinking of these things.

In my mind this book could be usefully paired with The Major Transitions in Evolution (John Maynard Smith and Eörs Szathmáry), another very interesting advanced (good to already have some evolution in your background) book on evolution. This book considers how the levels of selection and information control of evolving entities changed significantly as evolution generated greater complexity. Selfish Gene concepts make sense within the view of this book.

Interestingly (to me anyway), in The Selfish Gene, Dawkins also proposed another interesting and influential concept: the meme. A conceptual thing with properties which promotes its propagation in cultural space.

Likes WWCY

Related to Is The Selfish Gene Still Relevant in Evolutionary Science Today?

1. What is "The Selfish Gene" and why is it controversial?

"The Selfish Gene" is a book written by Richard Dawkins that proposes the idea that genes are the driving force behind evolution, rather than individual organisms. This concept is controversial because it challenges traditional beliefs about the role of individuals in evolution and raises ethical concerns about viewing genes as "selfish".

2. Is there scientific evidence to support the claims made in "The Selfish Gene"?

Yes, there is a significant amount of scientific evidence that supports the central ideas of "The Selfish Gene". This includes studies on genetics, evolutionary biology, and game theory. However, there is also ongoing debate and criticism within the scientific community about certain aspects of the book's arguments.

3. How does "The Selfish Gene" relate to the concept of natural selection?

"The Selfish Gene" proposes that natural selection acts on genes rather than individuals, and that genes that promote their own survival and replication are more likely to be passed on to future generations. This theory provides a different perspective on the process of natural selection and has been influential in shaping our understanding of evolution.

4. Are there any ethical implications of the ideas presented in "The Selfish Gene"?

Yes, there are ethical implications of viewing genes as "selfish" and the potential for this idea to be misinterpreted and applied to human behavior. Some argue that it may lead to a reductionist view of human behavior and undermine concepts of altruism and cooperation.

5. How has "The Selfish Gene" influenced the field of biology?

"The Selfish Gene" has had a significant impact on the field of biology, particularly in evolutionary theory and genetics. It has sparked new debates and discussions about the role of genes in evolution and has influenced the development of related theories and research. It has also been widely read and discussed outside of the scientific community, shaping popular understanding of evolution and genetics.