Is the root mean square current always positive?

In summary, the root RMS value of current in Alternating currents cannot be negative because it is calculated as the square root of the mean of squares, which means any information about the sign of the numbers is lost. This means that the RMS current is always a positive value.
Vaman Hegde
Am sorry, if this topic does not belong to this section, as i am new, kindly oblige
Can root RMS value of current (what we study in Alternating currents) be negative?
i feel that it can surely be negative as it is a root, but my teacher told that it can't be negative and showed just one line above x axis. When asked he told me that it's a root of mean of square, hence can't be negative. i did not understand, kindly help...

Physics news on Phys.org
The rms is the average of the squares, square rooted. Or, Mathematically:

[tex]

x_{\mathrm{rms}} = \sqrt {\frac{x_1^2 + x_2^2 + \cdots + x_n^2}{n}} =\sqrt {\frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2} [/tex]

So, as you can see from the formula, the squaring of the [tex]x_i[/tex] means any information about the sign of the number is lost. Basically, the root mean square is a measure of the magnitude of a set of numbers.

Vaman Hegde said:
Am sorry, if this topic does not belong to this section, as i am new, kindly oblige
Can root RMS value of current (what we study in Alternating currents) be negative?
i feel that it can surely be negative as it is a root, but my teacher told that it can't be negative and showed just one line above x axis. When asked he told me that it's a root of mean of square, hence can't be negative. i did not understand, kindly help...

Well, when you square a sinusoidal current with zero dc offset you get a waveform that is always positive. Therefore, the average of this always positive waveform is also positive. Technically, the square root of a positive number can be both positive and negative, of course, but the root operation in the RMS calculation is the PRINCIPAL square root, which is the POSITIVE root. So, your teacher is right, the RMS current is a positive value.

it's my name. :bugeye:

Related to Is the root mean square current always positive?

What is root mean square current?

Root mean square current, also known as RMS current, is a measure of the average current in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It takes into account the fluctuation of the current over time, giving a more accurate representation of the actual current flowing through a circuit.

How is root mean square current calculated?

The root mean square current is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of the current over one complete cycle. This is represented by the equation:
RMS current = √(1/T ∫0T i(t)2 dt), where T is the period of the AC waveform.

What is the importance of root mean square current?

Root mean square current is important because it is used to determine the power dissipation in AC circuits. It is also used to compare the heating effect of alternating current to that of direct current in electrical systems.

How does root mean square current differ from average current?

Root mean square current takes into account the varying amplitude of the current in an AC circuit, while average current does not. This means that the RMS current is a more accurate representation of the actual current flowing through a circuit.

Is root mean square current the same as effective current?

Yes, root mean square current and effective current refer to the same concept. They both represent the average current in an AC circuit, taking into account the fluctuation of the current over time.