Is the physics in Angels & Demons completely off the mark?

In summary, the book is about a bomb that is highly explosive and can be contained by a battery. The alarm bells started going off in the protagonist's head when they zeroed in on the plot device. Although the bomb is fictional, the story is based on real-world physics.
I thought I might like the Da Vinci Code movie but couldn't even finish watching it.

Physics news on Phys.org
GeorginaS said:
Assuming that Dave is really, really determined to like it one way or the other?

I enjoyed both, but hey, that's just me. If I wanted to read about physics, or religion, I'd grab a physics book, or Bible (insert Quran, Torah, ancient Mayan codices, lol)

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
Assuming that Dave is really, really determined to like it one way or the other?
I expect a lot more from a book, but I can see it being an enjoyable action romp. Well, except for the stupid timer device. That'll just tick me off.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, except for the stupid timer device. That'll just tick me off.

:smile:

DaveC426913 said:
tdVC

Nice use of upper and lower case! :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed the book even though the physics behind it is a bit silly.

The countdown on the canister however is the worst bit of the book in my opinion. It makes no sense to have a battery that dies in exactly 24 hours. How easy would it have been to have had the bad guy put the canister in a device that emits a magnetic field in exactly 24 hours, disrupting the magnetic bottle and thus causing the same explosion?

In the movie, it's even worse. There is no countdown on the timer (only a few bars showing how much battery life left), but they still somehow know exactly when the canister is going to explode... What??

But let's not get started on the movie, it is so much worse... They leave out half the plot!
In the book, the camerlengo (bad guy) is the bad guy because he found out he is the Pope's son (of course, being a Pope he should not have been able to get a son). He murdered the pope for that and had the anti-matter canister stolen... In the movie, there is no mention of this. The camerlengo has NO motive at all to do what he did, and that is not even explained...

Nick89 said:
I enjoyed the book even though the physics behind it is a bit silly.

The countdown on the canister however is the worst bit of the book in my opinion. It makes no sense to have a battery that dies in exactly 24 hours. How easy would it have been to have had the bad guy put the canister in a device that emits a magnetic field in exactly 24 hours, disrupting the magnetic bottle and thus causing the same explosion?

In the movie, it's even worse. There is no countdown on the timer (only a few bars showing how much battery life left), but they still somehow know exactly when the canister is going to explode... What??

But let's not get started on the movie, it is so much worse... They leave out half the plot!
In the book, the camerlengo (bad guy) is the bad guy because he found out he is the Pope's son (of course, being a Pope he should not have been able to get a son). He murdered the pope for that and had the anti-matter canister stolen... In the movie, there is no mention of this. The camerlengo has NO motive at all to do what he did, and that is not even explained...

Actually, in the movie, the camerlengo is in it to become the Pope, so they changed and shortened it to fit in a movie.