Is the Name of Your Degree Important for Statistical Jobs at the MSc Level?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concern of whether having an MSc in Mathematics with a specialization in statistics would affect job opportunities. The consensus was that as long as the resume highlights the relevant courses, research projects, and knowledge of statistical software programs, it should not be a hindrance in the hiring process.
Hi all, quick query please:

My nearest university is a good one (with a good department) but offers only an MSc Mathematics, not an MSc Statistics. But the course options are such that it can be virtually all statistics and probability. E.g. modules include Mathematical Biology, Medical Statistics, Probability Modelling, Linear Statistical Models etc.

Would the name of the degree get it immediately passed over by HR etc. before any hiring managers get the chance to see the transcript?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

Some universities (in both Canada and the US) don't offer separate statistics MSc degrees but is instead offered within the math department, and it appears that the situation is the same in the UK as well (as I recall, I believe you mentioned you are based there).

Personally, I don't think the name of the degree will really matter that much, so long as you mention in the resume that your MSc in Mathematics involved a specialization in statistics. You could also list key courses that you took in your MSc that would be relevant for your work in statistics, as well as any research projects or internships related to the field -- HR should be able to pick up on this in their searches.

Likes 1 person
Thanks. Good advice as always.

Just to add to Statguy2000 good advice. Be sure to know* a couple of the main statistical software programs used in your desired field and list that in your resume. It was rare for me to hire someone who didn't know SAS or SPSS. While it isn't difficult to learn, I feel that they are easy enough to learn that an applicant should spend some time getting know them before I hire them. Saves me a lot of time and headache.

*By know, I think it's sufficient to be able to use the GUI for most people, but as a statistician, I would expect you to know how to program. It isn't hard, but a little knowledge goes a long way.

Likes 1 person

As a scientist with experience in statistical analysis, I can assure you that the name of your degree will not be the deciding factor in your job applications. What matters most is the skills and knowledge you have acquired through your coursework and any relevant experience you have gained. Employers are primarily interested in your ability to apply statistical methods and solve problems, rather than the specific title of your degree. As long as you have a strong understanding of statistical concepts and techniques, you should not be concerned about the name of your degree. Focus on highlighting your skills and experience in your job applications and interviews, and you will have a better chance of being considered for statistical jobs at the MSc level.

Related to Is the Name of Your Degree Important for Statistical Jobs at the MSc Level?

1. What types of statistical jobs are available for MSc graduates?

There are a variety of statistical jobs available for MSc graduates, including roles in fields such as data analysis, market research, biostatistics, and actuarial science. These jobs may involve working with data to make predictions, analyzing data trends, conducting experiments, or designing statistical models.

2. What skills are required for statistical jobs at MSc level?

Statistical jobs at MSc level often require a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer programming. Additionally, good analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as attention to detail and the ability to work with large amounts of data, are important for success in these roles.

3. What industries hire MSc graduates for statistical jobs?

MSc graduates with a background in statistics can find employment in a variety of industries, including finance, healthcare, marketing, government, and technology. Many companies and organizations rely on data analysis and statistical methods to make informed decisions and improve their operations, making statistical roles in high demand.

4. How important is experience in statistical jobs at MSc level?

Experience is often an important factor in securing a job in the field of statistics at MSc level. Many employers prefer candidates with previous experience in data analysis, statistical modeling, or related fields. Internships, research projects, and practical coursework can all help to build relevant experience for these roles.

5. What is the job outlook for MSc graduates in the field of statistics?

The job outlook for MSc graduates in the field of statistics is generally positive. With the increasing importance of data analysis and the growing demand for skilled statisticians, there are many opportunities available for MSc graduates in this field. Additionally, the average salary for statistical jobs at MSc level is typically higher than the average for all occupations.