Grad School Choices: MSc Math or Stats?

In summary, the user is seeking career advice regarding which master's degree, in either applied math or statistics, would provide better job opportunities. They have a background in mathematics and have done undergraduate research in modeling. They are willing to devote 2-3 years for a master's degree and are not focused on making a high salary. They have experience in software development and are looking for opinions and anecdotes from those with experience in either applied math or statistics. Their main questions are which master's degree is more likely to lead to degree-related work and if a master's degree is sufficient to start a career in applied math or if a PhD is generally required.
jpf
Hi, all. This is my first post. Although my question isn't directly physics related, I hope I will be able to get some feedback, as I haven't had much luck finding career advice forums for math & stats.

I recently obtained a BSc with a major in Mathematics. This is not an honours or specialization degree; instead, I simply took a number of math and stats courses that interested me (ODEs, PDEs, calculus, analysis, modelling, probability, stats, linear algebra, etc.). Other coursework includes 2nd year physics, chem, neuroscience, and genetics.

I am trying to decide what to focus on in grad school. I am old enough that I feel a PhD is more or less unrealistic, but I am willing to devote 2-3 years for an MSc. I have done some undergrad research in modelling related to biological systems and enjoy it. Employment opportunities are a significant concern for me, but I'm not out to make the most money possible, just a reasonably good salary (hopefully 70k+/year after some experience).

I'm attempting to wrap my head around the opportunities and job market for someone with a math background, and I've gotten the impression that a MSc in stats would be more employable than an MSc in applied math (say biomathematics), especially if stopping at the MSc level. I like stats, particularly stochastic processes rather than, say, running t-tests, but I think I prefer modelling. That being said, I'd happily pursue stats if it meant a significantly better chance of a career.

I have a few years experience writing software (mostly business web apps).

I would love to hear some opinions or anecdotes, especially from those who have experience in either or both areas.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If my first post was too long, here are my main questions:

Which master's degree is more likely to enable me to find degree-related work, applied math or statistics?

I've been told a master's is sufficient to start a career in stats. Is the same true of applied math, or is a PhD generally required?

Related to Grad School Choices: MSc Math or Stats?

What is the difference between an MSc in Math and an MSc in Statistics?

An MSc in Math typically focuses on theoretical and applied mathematics, while an MSc in Statistics focuses on statistical methods and analysis. The two degrees may have some overlap in coursework, but they have different focuses and career paths.

Which degree is more useful for a career in data analysis or data science?

Both degrees can be useful for a career in data analysis or data science. An MSc in Math may provide a stronger foundation in mathematical principles, while an MSc in Statistics may provide a stronger foundation in statistical methods. It ultimately depends on the specific job and the individual's skills and interests.

Are there any prerequisites for pursuing an MSc in Math or Stats?

Many graduate programs in math or statistics require a strong background in mathematics, including courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and probability. Some programs may also require knowledge of programming languages such as R or Python.

What are the job prospects for graduates with an MSc in Math or Stats?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in data analysis, research, teaching, and more. The demand for professionals with strong quantitative and analytical skills is high in many industries, making these degrees valuable for job seekers.

Is it possible to pursue both an MSc in Math and an MSc in Stats?

It is possible to pursue both degrees, but it may require a significant time and financial commitment. Some universities may offer dual-degree programs that allow students to earn both degrees simultaneously. Alternatively, students can pursue one degree after the other, which may take longer but can also provide a more diverse skill set.