Is the Matrix Positive Semidefinite Given the Norm Condition?

In summary, Brian found the solution to the equation t ||x||^2 + 2 <x,y> z + t z^2 where <.,.> denotes the inner product and ||\cdot || the usual norm.
brian_m.
Hello.

[itex] [/itex]

Homework Statement

Let [itex]x \in \mathbb R^n[/itex] and [itex]t \in \mathbb R[/itex].

Prove the following equivalence:
[itex]\left \| x \right \|_2 \leq t \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \begin{pmatrix} t \cdot I_n & x \\ x^T & t \end{pmatrix} \text{is positive semidefinite }[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\left \| x \right \|_2 = \sqrt{x_1^2+ ... + x_n^2}[/itex] is the euclidean norm and [itex]I_n [/itex] the identity matrix of dimension n.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a matrix is positive semidefinite if and only if all eigenvalues of the matrix are [itex]\geq 0[/itex].
My problem is to calculate the eigenvalues of the given matrix.

Thank your for your help in advance!

Bye,
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah so I would probably start by trying to find the characteristic equation of the matrix

as they're only 2 non-zero rows in the first column, hopefully it shoudl simplify a fair bit

brian_m. said:
Hello.

[itex] [/itex]

Homework Statement

Let [itex]x \in \mathbb R^n[/itex] and [itex]t \in \mathbb R[/itex].

Prove the following equivalence:
[itex]\left \| x \right \|_2 \leq t \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \begin{pmatrix} t \cdot I_n & x \\ x^T & t \end{pmatrix} \text{is positive semidefinite }[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\left \| x \right \|_2 = \sqrt{x_1^2+ ... + x_n^2}[/itex] is the euclidean norm and [itex]I_n [/itex] the identity matrix of dimension n.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a matrix is positive semidefinite if and only if all eigenvalues of the matrix are [itex]\geq 0[/itex].
My problem is to calculate the eigenvalues of the given matrix.

Thank your for your help in advance!

Bye,
Brian

It is much easier if you forget about eigenvalues and look directly at the _defintion_ of psd (positive semi-definite). Your matrix [tex] A = \begin{pmatrix} t \cdot I_n & x \\ x^T & t \end{pmatrix}[/tex] is psd if, for all [itex] Y \in \mathbb R^{n+1}[/itex] we have
[itex] Y^T A Y \geq 0.[/itex] Letting
[tex] Y = \begin{pmatrix} y \\ z \end{pmatrix}, \; y \in \mathbb{R}^n, \; z \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] the quadratic form [itex]Q(y,z) = Y^T A Y[/itex] is easily computed. For alll [itex] y \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] we need [itex] Q \geq 0, [/itex] so considered as an optimization problem in [itex] z[/itex] we can derive a simple necessary and sufficient condition involving [itex] ||x|| \text{ and } t.[/itex]

Thanks for your help.

Now I have calculated [itex]Y^T A Y[/itex]. It is:

[itex]Y^T A Y = \begin{pmatrix}
y & z \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} t \cdot I_n & x \\ x^T & t \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
y\\z \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
y_1t+zx_1 & \cdots & y_nt+zx_n & y_1x_1+...+y_nx_n+zt
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
y_1\\\vdots
\\ y_n
\\ z
\end{pmatrix}= \\
= \sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2 t + 2z \sum_{i=1}^n y_i x_i. [/itex]

So I have to find out for which [itex]z[/itex] the inequality [itex]t \cdot \sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2 + 2z \cdot \sum_{i=1}^n y_i x_i \geq 0[/itex] holds?

I don't know how to find out the solution of the inequality. Please can you help me again?

Thank you in adavance!

Bye,

Brian

brian_m. said:
Thanks for your help.

Now I have calculated [itex]Y^T A Y[/itex]. It is:

[itex]Y^T A Y = \begin{pmatrix}
y & z \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} t \cdot I_n & x \\ x^T & t \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
y\\z \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
y_1t+zx_1 & \cdots & y_nt+zx_n & y_1x_1+...+y_nx_n+zt
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
y_1\\\vdots
\\ y_n
\\ z
\end{pmatrix}= \\
= \sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2 t + 2z \sum_{i=1}^n y_i x_i. [/itex]

So I have to find out for which [itex]z[/itex] the inequality [itex]t \cdot \sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2 + 2z \cdot \sum_{i=1}^n y_i x_i \geq 0[/itex] holds?

I don't know how to find out the solution of the inequality. Please can you help me again?

Thank you in adavance!

Bye,

Brian

Try again. I get [itex] Q(y,z) = Y^T A Y = t ||y||^2 + 2 <x,y> z + t z^2,[/itex] where [itex]<.,.>[/itex] denotes the inner product and [itex] ||\cdot ||[/itex] the usual norm. For any y, Q(y,z) must be ≥ 0, which means that as a function of z it cannot have two distinct roots.

RGV

Related to Is the Matrix Positive Semidefinite Given the Norm Condition?

1. What is a positive semidefinite matrix?

A positive semidefinite matrix is a square matrix in which all of the eigenvalues are non-negative. It is also known as a positive definite matrix if all of the eigenvalues are strictly greater than zero.

2. How is a positive semidefinite matrix represented?

A positive semidefinite matrix is represented by the notation A ≥ 0, which indicates that all of the eigenvalues of matrix A are greater than or equal to zero.

3. What are the properties of a positive semidefinite matrix?

Some of the properties of a positive semidefinite matrix include: all eigenvalues are non-negative, all principal submatrices have non-negative determinants, and the matrix is symmetric.

4. How is a positive semidefinite matrix used in mathematics?

Positive semidefinite matrices are used in various mathematical fields, such as linear algebra, optimization, and statistics. They are often used in optimization problems to ensure that the objective function is convex, and in statistics to represent covariance matrices.

5. How do you determine if a matrix is positive semidefinite?

A matrix can be determined to be positive semidefinite by checking if all of its eigenvalues are non-negative. This can be done by calculating the eigenvalues using the characteristic polynomial or by using the Sylvester's criterion, which states that a matrix is positive semidefinite if and only if all of its principal minors are non-negative.