Is the Mapping h(x)=x3 + x Injective and Surjective?

• Thread starter sunnyday11
  • Start date
In summary, the functions h and f are both not injective since they have multiple roots. For surjectivity, h is surjective since for any value in C, there is a corresponding root, while f is not surjective since it has only one root in its field. The fundamental theorem of algebra can be used to prove surjectivity for h.
sunnyday11

Homework Statement

Decide with proof whether the mapping is injective and/or surjective.

Let f: A-->B be a mapping.

h: C--> C; h(x)=x3 + x (complex field)

f: Z--> Z; h(x)=x3 + x (integer field)

Homework Equations

injective means f(a)=f(a') => a=a'
surjective means for all b belong to B, there exists a belong to A such that f(a)=b

The Attempt at a Solution

For injectivity, I sub a and a' into equations h and f but I have no idea how to equate them or to prove them false.

For subjectivity the same issue arises, I try to get a inverse of the equation since I think they are surjective and can't think of any example to contradict it.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
When I first saw your question, I thought it might be wise to play a bit with the function to see if something cool props up.

First, I decided to find the roots of the functions. That is, find the x-values such that x3+x=0. Can you find these for me? Do these roots already tell us something about injectivity/surjectivity?

The roots are 0 and i.

So for injectivity, h is not injective since both 0 and i lead to the same result; f on the other hand is injective since only 0 is in its field.

For surjectivity, I still can't think of anything to prove.

Well, fix a in C. Does there exist a point x such that x3 + x = a? Try moving everything to the same side. What theorem can we use?

x3 + x - a = 0

Sorry, I am not quite familiar with the complex plane, can you give me a hint of theorem you mentioned?

I'm assuming you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra. If you can't, there's always the cubic formula.

Related to Is the Mapping h(x)=x3 + x Injective and Surjective?

1. What is injectivity?

Injectivity is a property of a function where each input has a unique output. In other words, no two different inputs can have the same output. This is also known as the one-to-one mapping property.

2. What is surjectivity?

Surjectivity is a property of a function where every element in the output of the function has at least one corresponding input. In other words, the function covers all elements in the output. This is also known as the onto mapping property.

3. What is the difference between injectivity and surjectivity?

The main difference between injectivity and surjectivity is the uniqueness of the relationship between the input and output. Injectivity ensures that each input has a unique output, while surjectivity ensures that all elements in the output have at least one corresponding input.

4. How can I determine if a function is injective or surjective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the "horizontal line test" where you draw a horizontal line across the graph of the function. If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, the function is not injective. To determine if a function is surjective, you can use the "vertical line test" where you draw a vertical line across the graph of the function. If the line intersects the graph at every point, the function is surjective.

5. Why are injectivity and surjectivity important?

Injectivity and surjectivity are important concepts in mathematics and science because they help us understand the relationship between inputs and outputs in a function. They also have practical applications in fields such as data analysis, computer science, and engineering. For example, in data analysis, injectivity and surjectivity can help us identify patterns and make predictions based on the relationship between variables.