Is the Laplace Transform Correct for the Differential Equation y-8y'+20y=te^t?

• Thread starter Jeff12341234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary: If you haven't checked it, then you should do so. If you have checked it, then what is it that you want to know?In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving Laplace transforms and checking for mistakes in the solution. The solution process involves decomposing the right side using partial fractions and verifying the correctness of the final answer. The individual solving the problem has confirmed that their solution is correct.
Jeff12341234
y"-8y'+20y=tet, y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

I need to know if I made a mistake in getting to the step below:

L-1{ 1/[(s-1)2(s2-8s+20)] }

because when I solve that, I get something pretty gnarly..

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff12341234 said:
y"-8y'+20y=tet, y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

I need to know if I made a mistake in getting to the step below:

L-1{ 1/[(s-1)2(s2-8s+20)] }

because when I solve that, I get something pretty gnarly..
Show us how you got to that step.

OuhdDgq.jpg

So y(t) = L-1(Y(s)) = L-1(1 /[(s - 1)2(s2 -8s + 20)]

Break up the right side using partial fractions, and then you can take inverse Laplace transforms of them separately. This is how you should decompose the right side.

$$ \frac{1}{(s - 1)^2(s^2 - 8s + 20)} = \frac{A}{s - 1} + \frac{B}{(s - 1)^2} + \frac{Cs + D}{s^2 - 8s + 20}$$

When you figure out A, B, C, and D, check your work to make sure you haven't made an error. Then we can talk about the final step.

So I was doing it right.. The answer was kinda big so I thought I made a mistake somewhere.

KnJNvYS.jpg

So is that right?

Jeff12341234 said:
So is that right?

Yes, it is. Well done.

Jeff12341234 said:
So is that right?
In your post just before the one I'm quoting, you showed the solution you found. I assumed that you had checked your solution to verify that it works.

Related to Is the Laplace Transform Correct for the Differential Equation y-8y'+20y=te^t?

1. What is Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9?

Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 is a specific problem that can be solved using the method of Laplace transforms. It involves finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function.

2. What is the purpose of solving Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9?

The purpose of solving Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 is to find a solution to a differential equation that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is a powerful tool for solving complex problems in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

3. How is Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 solved?

Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 is solved by first taking the Laplace transform of the given function, which transforms the differential equation into an algebraic equation. The inverse Laplace transform is then used to find the solution to the original differential equation.

4. What are the applications of Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9?

Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in circuit analysis, control systems, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. It can also be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9?

While Laplace's Differential Equation Question #9 is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not work for all types of boundary conditions and may be difficult to apply in certain cases.