Is the Inverse Calculation Correct for Matrix Polynomial Equation?

In summary, a matrix in mathematics is a rectangular array used to represent linear equations and perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. Matrix arithmetic is the process of performing these operations on matrices and it has properties such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. It is used in various fields to model and solve real-life problems. While matrix arithmetic follows the rules of mathematics, it is important to check for errors and assumptions to ensure correct solutions.
MoreDrinks
I suppose the title should be "Matrix polynomial T or F" but whatever.

Homework Statement

True or false: if A2-2A+I=0, then A-1=2I2-I

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought:

A2-2A+I=0 becomes (A-I)(A-I)=0
so
A = I

The inverse of I is I.

So the second equation:

A-1=2I2-I

becomes

I = 2I2-I

I2=I

2I-I = I

So the answer is True.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
XX=0 doesn't mean X=0 for matrices. Try to find a counter example for your claim. Try A=[[1,1],[0,1]].

Dick said:
XX=0 doesn't mean X=0 for matrices. Try to find a counter example for your claim. Try A=[[1,1],[0,1]].

Gaaah, thanks. Although the TorF question specified, now that I think of it, a 4x4 matrix, making figuring it out for a fraction of a point even harder. Jesus, the entire lack of class or book examples is really screwing everyone in this course over.

One other, if you have a moment.

A = PBP-1

and thus A = B and detA=detB

Most people put "false" thinking that because B was between P and P-1, they did not always constitute I and thus both A=B and detA=detB would be wrong. But the answer was true.

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules, I just felt silly make an entirely new thread for this.

MoreDrinks said:
Gaaah, thanks. Although the TorF question specified, now that I think of it, a 4x4 matrix, making figuring it out for a fraction of a point even harder. Jesus, the entire lack of class or book examples is really screwing everyone in this course over.

One other, if you have a moment.

A = PBP-1

and thus A = B and detA=detB

Most people put "false" thinking that because B was between P and P-1, they did not always constitute I and thus both A=B and detA=detB would be wrong. But the answer was true.

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules, I just felt silly make an entirely new thread for this.

Not breaking any rules. A doesn't have to be equal to B. At all. But det(PBP^(-1))=det(P)*det(B)*det(P^(-1)). Now you can rearrange that to det(P)*det(P^(-1))*det(B). So det(A) does equal det(B). If you assume det(P) is nonzero. Otherwise even that's not even true.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Not breaking any rules. A doesn't have to be equal to B. At all. But det(PBP^(-1))=det(P)*det(B)*det(P^(-1)). Now you can rearrange that to det(P)*det(P^(-1))*det(B). So det(A) does equal det(B). If you assume det(P) is nonzero. Otherwise even that's not even true.

Thank you. So basically, we have half of a test question that is wrong and another half that was not covered in class notes, nor in the textbook we're using - we were never told and there were never any questions suggesting we could rearrange determinants like that.

Any recommendations on textbooks that DO cover these totally important topics?

I mean, they're just numbers, but showing that we can DO it would have been nice.

Again, it's late for me.

MoreDrinks said:
Thank you. So basically, we have half of a test question that is wrong and another half that was not covered in class notes, nor in the textbook we're using - we were never told and there were never any questions suggesting we could rearrange determinants like that.

Any recommendations on textbooks that DO cover these totally important topics?

I'm not really in teaching these days. So I can't really recommend one. But I can't imagine any of them don't mention det(AB)=det(A)det(B). Determinants are just numbers. You can rearrange them any way you anyway you can rearrange numbers.

MoreDrinks said:
I suppose the title should be "Matrix polynomial T or F" but whatever.

Homework Statement

True or false: if A2-2A+I=0, then A-1=2I2-I
As noted, this is false. However, what can be said is that
$$0 = A^2 - 2A + I = A(A - 2I) + I$$
so
$$A(2I-A) = I$$
and therefore ##A^{-1} = 2I - A##.

Related to Is the Inverse Calculation Correct for Matrix Polynomial Equation?

1. What is a matrix in mathematics?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent a set of linear equations and to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion.

2. What is matrix arithmetic?

Matrix arithmetic is the mathematical process of performing operations on matrices, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to represent transformations in linear algebra.

3. What are the properties of matrix arithmetic?

The properties of matrix arithmetic include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. This means that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result, and that multiplication can be distributed over addition and subtraction.

4. How is matrix arithmetic used in real life?

Matrix arithmetic is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to model and solve real-life problems involving systems of linear equations, transformations, and optimization.

5. Is matrix arithmetic true or false?

Matrix arithmetic is true, as it follows the rules and properties of mathematics. However, it is important to check for errors and assumptions when solving equations using matrix arithmetic, as mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions.