Is the Integral of 1/z^2 over Path C Independent of the Path Choice?

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the integral \int_{C}^{}\frac{dz}{z^{2}} is independent of path as long as the path does not go through the origin. This means that for specific values of a and b, the integral will give the same result regardless of the chosen path from -a to b. The length of the path is not relevant. This can be shown by using the fact that 1/z^2 is continuous and analytic except at z = 0, and the integral can be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus as long as the path does not enclose the origin. If the origin is enclosed, the integral will evaluate to the same result due to the singularity
futurebird
PROBLEM:

Show that the integral [tex]\int_{C}^{}\frac{dz}{z^{2}}[/tex] where C is a path beginning at z=-a and ending a z=b, where a > 0 and b >0, is independent of path so long as C doesn't go through the origin.

-----------

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
I know from a past assignment that [tex]\frac{1}{z^{2}}[/tex] has a branch point at the origin. That is why the path C can't go through the origin. I imagine the start point, -a on the negative x-axis (since they have set it up so -a is negative and real) and the end point, b, on the positive x-axis. The path from -a to be is shaped like a rainbow or semi-circle to avoid the origin. The path could have turns in it, but it won't intersect itself.

By "independent of path" do they mean that:

(A.) Given a and b, you can take any path from -a to b and get the same result for that specific a and b. That is, if a=2 and b=30 there is one answer with many paths from -2 to 30. But, if you have a=0.5 and b=77 the answer could be different, although you still have many paths between -a and b.

(B.) The path as the same length regardless of your choice of a and b.

I hope it is not "B." because if:

[tex]z=re^{i\theta}[/tex] for any circle with radius r.
[tex]dz=ire^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]
-a will become [tex]\pi[/tex]. b will become 0.

[tex]\int_{\pi}^{0}\frac{ire^{i\theta}}{re^{i\theta}re^{i\theta}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{\pi}^{0}\frac{i}{r}e^{-i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=-\frac{1}{r}\int_{\pi}^{0}-ie^{-i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{1}{r}(e^{-i\theta})^{0}_{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{2}{r}[/tex]

What this says is that, if the path is a semi-circle, then the length is dependent on r. But this would only work when a = b, still I think it shows that the vale of the integral chages depending on the values of a and b. So they can't be asking that I show that: "The path as the same length regardless of your choice of a and b."

I need to know if I understand the question correctly, and, how can I show that ANY path will have the same length?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
futurebird said:
I know from a past assignment that [tex]\frac{1}{z^{2}}[/tex] has a branch point at the origin.

Actually, it's a pole, not a branch point.

futurebird said:
By "independent of path" do they mean that:

(A.) Given a and b, you can take any path from -a to b and get the same result for that specific a and b.

Yes!

futurebird said:
(B.) The path as the same length regardless of your choice of a and b.

No!

futurebird said:
how can I show that ANY path will have the same length?

The length of the path is not relevant. The integral is independent of all aspects of the path other than its starting and ending points.

Avodyne said:
The length of the path is not relevant. The integral is independent of all aspects of the path other than its starting and ending points.

Dear god, I don't even know what these integrals are evaluating. I'm going to search the web a bit.

I have a new idea, though for this question... I'll say that f(z) is continuos and analytic except at z = 0. F'(z) = f(z) F(z) = -x^-1 is also continuous and analytic. So, as long as I avoid the origin, I can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral. With a and b both constant it only gives one result for that a and b.

Take two paths P1 and P2 between a and b. Put together they make a closed path C. If the origin is not enclosed in C then f is analytic in the interior of C, what do you conclude about the integral of f around C? What does this tell you about the integrals along P1 and P2? If the origin is in C then you effectively have a closed integral around the origin of 1/z^2. You reach the same conclusion for a slightly different reason.

PS. Not going through the origin doesn't have anything to do with branch points here. 1/z^2 is not multiple valued and doesn't need any branch definitions. But the origin is still a singularity.

Related to Is the Integral of 1/z^2 over Path C Independent of the Path Choice?

What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a complex-valued function along a given curve in the complex plane. It is a generalization of the traditional line integral in multivariable calculus.

What is the purpose of a complex line integral?

The purpose of a complex line integral is to calculate the total amount of a complex-valued function that is "flowing" along a given curve in the complex plane. It can be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields where complex numbers are involved.

How do you calculate a complex line integral?

To calculate a complex line integral, you first need to parametrize the given curve in the complex plane. Then, you integrate the complex-valued function along this curve using the appropriate integration formula. The result is a complex number that represents the total amount of the function along the curve.

What is the relationship between complex line integrals and conservative vector fields?

There is a close relationship between complex line integrals and conservative vector fields. If a complex-valued function is analytic (has a derivative at every point), then the complex line integral of this function along any closed curve in the complex plane is equal to 0. This is known as Cauchy's theorem and is a fundamental concept in complex analysis.

What are some real-world applications of complex line integrals?

Complex line integrals have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force field, the electric field around a charged object, and the flow of a fluid in a complex system. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.