Is the increment of the expanding universe part of cosmology

In summary, the FLRW model is a mathematical model of the universe that is differentiable, based on sound mathematical formulations, and includes some of Einstein's field equations from general relativity. Some of the features of the FLRW model are that it is finite, unbounded, expandable, and free of topology defects. There is no "increment" in size of the universe as defined by this model.
Hugh de Launay
Gold Member
{Reference: Wikipedia's Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) Metric article)}

The FLRW (1935) mathematical model of the universe is the one most used by cosmologists. It is differentiable, which means it is based on sound, consistent, mathematical formulations. (The Lambda-CDM model is further developed, but the FLRW model is adequate for this post.) Included in the FLRW mathematics are some of Einstein's field equations from general relativity. Some of the features of the FLRW model are that it is finite, unbounded, expandable, and free of topology defects.

I understand that the model has no borders and can be infinite if needed, and that this is required by its mathematics. What I am curious about is the attitude of cosmologists toward the ongoing increment of the expanding universe. Is it a part of cosmology, or is it not? If it is, then what is the consensus view of its nature?

Space news on Phys.org
Sorry, what does 'increment' mean in this context?

Drakkith said:
Sorry, what does 'increment' mean in this context?
Assuming a speed of light expansion, the increment would be the speed of light multiplied by your choice of a length of time. I had in mind a small amount of time like a microsecond or less.

Hugh de Launay said:
Assuming a speed of light expansion

Which is not correct. The expansion of the universe does not have a speed. It has a rate of change of the scale factor in the metric. That's not the same thing.

Because the expansion of the universe does not have a speed, it does not have an "increment" either, at least not as you are using the term.

Likes Klystron
PeterDonis said:
Because the expansion of the universe does not have a speed, it does not have an "increment" either, at least not as you are using the term.
I understand the expansion of the universe is a change of the scale factor in the metric, and that because of this the visible universe has a radius greater than the age of the universe in light years. I wanted to avoid bringing that up, but now I see I have to.

The universe expands, so it encroaches upon the three dimensional environment beyond the space it already occupies. The encroachment is an increment of the size of the universe which has occupied space it had not occupied before its expansion. The question is: is this increment in size a part of cosmology or is it not?

Hugh de Launay said:
The universe expands, so it encroaches upon the three dimensional environment beyond the space it already occupies.

No. There is no "three dimensional environment" beyond the space the universe occupies. The universe is not expanding into a pre-existing "space". That is not what "the universe is expanding" means. It means the universe has a 4-dimensional geometry with a particular shape. There is nothing "outside" this 4-dimensional geometry.

PeterDonis said:
There is nothing "outside" this 4-dimensional geometry.
Okay. I see that the answer to my question is no. Cosmology will not deal with a question that refers to events that are not integrated within the accepted models of the universe, and the increment (encroachment) in size of the universe has the status of not taking place within the cosmological models. I got my answer. Thanks for your help.

Related to Is the increment of the expanding universe part of cosmology

1. What is the expanding universe?

The expanding universe is a scientific theory that states the universe is constantly growing and getting larger. This means that galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies are moving away from each other at a constant rate.

2. Is the expansion of the universe part of cosmology?

Yes, the expansion of the universe is a key concept in cosmology, which is the study of the origin, structure, and evolution of the universe. Cosmologists use the expansion of the universe to understand how the universe has changed over time and what it might look like in the future.

3. What is the cause of the expansion of the universe?

The cause of the expansion of the universe is believed to be dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts the force of gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerated rate. However, the exact nature of dark energy is still not fully understood and is an active area of research in cosmology.

4. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured using a variety of techniques, including observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies, measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, and studying the distribution of galaxies in the universe. These methods all provide evidence for the expansion of the universe.

5. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue forever. This means that the universe will continue to grow and expand, with galaxies moving further and further away from each other. However, there is still ongoing research and debate in the scientific community about the ultimate fate of the universe.