Eddington-LeMaitre model (expanding universe,cosmological constant)

In summary, the Friedmann equations describe the evolution of the universe in terms of its expansion rate and energy density. The first equation is for a flat universe, while the second equation is the acceleration equation. The correct substitution for ##ω^2## in the second equation is ##ω^2=8πGε/3-λ/R^2##, and the solutions provided are for a matter-dominated universe. Different forms of energy can lead to different solutions.
shooride
I'm trying to solve Friedmann equations for ##k=1 ## & ##p=0## (matter).
These are equations:
$$3(\dot{R}^2 +1)/R^2 -λ =8πGε$$
$$(2R\ddot{R}+\dot{R}^2 +1)/R^2 -λ=0$$
If we use ##(\dot{R}^2 +1) /R^2## and put it in the second equation:

##\ddot{R}+ω^2/6=0## & ##ω^2=8πGε-2λ##

If ##ω^2=0##, then we have Einstein's static model.
Furthermore, for ##ω^2>>0##, the solution is like ##R=A\exp(ωt)## or ##R=A\sin(ωt)+B\cos(ωt)##with suitable constants. But I know Eddington-LeMaitre model (expanding universe) and the solution above, it's not that and it doesn't have coasting period or others property of that model. I don't know that what is the my wrong?!
Can anyone help me?
Thanks for your consideration on my problem.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your equations and your attempts at solving them. It looks like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the Friedmann equations are a set of equations that describe the evolution of the universe in terms of its expansion rate and energy density. The first equation you provided is the Friedmann equation for a flat universe (##k=0##), while the second equation is the acceleration equation. The Friedmann equations are valid for all values of ##k##, including ##k=1##.

Next, let's take a closer look at your second equation. You have correctly substituted ##(\dot{R}^2 +1)/R^2## for ##\ddot{R}##, but you seem to have made a mistake in your substitution for ##ω^2##. The correct substitution is ##ω^2=8πGε/3-λ/R^2##. This is because the energy density term in the Friedmann equation is divided by 3, and the curvature term is divided by ##R^2##. This means that the value of ##ω^2## will depend on the value of ##R##, and will not be constant.

Finally, it is important to note that the solutions you have provided are for a matter-dominated universe (##p=0##). This means that the energy density term in the Friedmann equation will only depend on the matter density, and not on the curvature term (##λ##). This is why the value of ##ω^2## does not change for different values of ##λ## in your solutions. However, if you were to consider a universe with other forms of energy, such as radiation or dark energy, then the value of ##ω^2## would change and you would see different solutions.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of the equations and their solutions. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Eddington-LeMaitre model (expanding universe,cosmological constant)

1. What is the Eddington-LeMaitre model?

The Eddington-LeMaitre model, also known as the expanding universe model, is a cosmological model developed by Arthur Eddington and Georges LeMaitre in the early 20th century. It describes the evolution of the universe as a whole, including its size, age, and structure.

2. What does the expanding universe model propose?

The Eddington-LeMaitre model proposes that the universe is expanding, meaning that the distance between galaxies and other objects is increasing over time. This expansion is thought to have started with the Big Bang, and it continues to the present day.

3. How does the Eddington-LeMaitre model explain the expansion of the universe?

The model explains the expansion of the universe through the concept of the cosmological constant, which is a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity. This constant represents the energy density of the vacuum of space, and it is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe.

4. What evidence supports the Eddington-LeMaitre model?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Eddington-LeMaitre model, including the redshift of distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe. These observations are consistent with the idea that the universe is expanding and that it started from a single point in time.

5. Are there any challenges to the Eddington-LeMaitre model?

Yes, there are some challenges to the Eddington-LeMaitre model, including the lack of a complete understanding of the nature of the cosmological constant and the need for further observations and experiments to confirm its validity. Additionally, there are alternative models, such as the steady-state model, that offer different explanations for the expansion of the universe.