Is the Hypothesis of Real and Imaginary Components for F(ω) True?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary: That is your second line.Your third line should use the definition of sine and cosine in terms of exponentials. That is your third line.Now you have expressed f in terms of exponentials. The real and imaginary parts of those exponentials are cosines and sines.Now use the properties of integrals to extract the real and imaginary parts of f.Now you should be able to see the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of f and the real and imaginary parts of the exponentials.
Jhenrique
I never see the following hypothesis but I believe that they are true...

##\text{Re}(\hat f (\omega)) = a(\omega)##

##\text{Im}(\hat f (\omega)) = b(\omega)##

where:

##f(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\hat f(\omega) \exp(i \omega t) d\omega = \int_{0}^{\infty} a(\omega) \cos(\omega t) + b(\omega) \sin(\omega t) d\omega##

##\hat f (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(t) \exp(-i \omega t) dt##

##a(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \cos(\omega t) dt##

##b(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \sin(\omega t) dt##

So, the two first equations are true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing the definition of ##\hat f(\omega)##.
From there you should be able to prove (or disprove) the relationships yourself.

Simon Bridge said:
You are missing the definition of ##\hat f(\omega)##.
From there you should be able to prove (or disprove) the relationships yourself.

Is unmistakable that ##\hat f## represents the Fourier transform of ##f## !

Jhenrique said:
I never see the following hypothesis but I believe that they are true...

##\text{Re}(\hat f (\omega)) = a(\omega)##

##\text{Im}(\hat f (\omega)) = b(\omega)##

where:

##\hat f (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(t) \exp(-i \omega t) dt##
Use the fact that [itex]e^{-i\omega t}= cos(\omega t)- i sin(\omega t)[/itex].

##a(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \cos(\omega t) dt##

##b(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \sin(\omega t) dt##

So, the two first equations are true?

An phasor in the complex form is ##A \exp(i(\omega t + \varphi)) = A \exp(i \varphi) \exp(i \omega t)##, the summation of phasors wrt angular frequency is ##\sum A(\omega) \exp(i \varphi(\omega)) \exp(i \omega t) \Delta \omega = \sum \hat f(\omega) \exp(i \omega t) \Delta \omega##. So, becomes clear that the ##\text{Abs}(\hat f(\omega)) = A(\omega)## and ##\text{Arg}(\hat f(\omega)) = \varphi(\omega)##.

What I want mean is that I don't understand the relation that a(ω) and b(ω) has with f(ω).

Jhenrique said:
Is unmistakable that ##\hat f## represents the Fourier transform of ##f## !
... but you edited post #1 to include that anyway - thank you ;)
So your next step was to relate the sine and cosine form to the exponential in the Fourier transform re post #4.

Jhenrique said:
What I want mean is that I don't understand the relation that a(ω) and b(ω) has with f(ω).

As in post #4. ##e^{-i\omega t}=\cos\omega t - i\sin\omega t##
Make the substitution in the Fourier transformation definition... which you gave as:
$$\hat f(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\;dt$$ ... and follow your nose.

Did you try that?

Yeah, but I don't see in none place a direct connection between a(ω) and b(ω) with Re(f(ω)) and Im(f(ω)).

Please show your working.

$$

\\f(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} A(\omega) \cos(x \omega) + B(\omega) \sin(x \omega) d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)(\cos(\omega t) \cos(\omega x) + \sin(\omega t) \sin(\omega x))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)\cos(\omega(x-t))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)(\exp(i \omega (x-t)) + \exp(-i \omega(x-t)))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega (x-t))dt d\omega + \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(-i \omega(x-t)) dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega (x-t))dt d\omega + \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-infty}^{0} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega(x-t)) dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega(x-t))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \exp(-i \omega t) dt \right) \exp(i \omega x) d \omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \hat f(\omega) \right) \exp(i \omega x) d \omega

$$

So...?

You started at the wrong place.

Start from your stated definition for ##\hat f## ... the one with the exponential in it. That is your first line.

Your second line should use the substitution for the exponential in terms of sine and cosine.

Related to Is the Hypothesis of Real and Imaginary Components for F(ω) True?

1. What is the difference between real and imaginary in F(ω)?

The real part of F(ω) represents the cosine component of a function, while the imaginary part represents the sine component. In other words, the real part describes the amplitude and phase shift of the cosine function, while the imaginary part describes the amplitude and phase shift of the sine function.

2. How is F(ω) related to the Fourier transform?

F(ω) is the complex representation of the Fourier transform. It contains both the real and imaginary components, which together describe the frequency spectrum of a function.

3. Can F(ω) have negative values?

Yes, F(ω) can have negative values for both the real and imaginary parts. This is because the Fourier transform takes into account both positive and negative frequencies.

4. What is the physical significance of the real and imaginary parts of F(ω)?

The real and imaginary parts of F(ω) are used to describe the amplitude and phase of a function in the frequency domain. They can be used to analyze signals and systems in different applications, such as in electrical engineering, physics, and data analysis.

5. How are the real and imaginary parts of F(ω) visualized?

The real and imaginary parts of F(ω) are usually visualized as separate plots on a complex plane. The real part is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The magnitude and phase of F(ω) can also be visualized using polar coordinates.