Is the group (G,dG) isomorphic to the original group G?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a given group (G,*) can be determined by another group (G,dG) where dG(x,y) = x*y^-1. The conversation includes a hint for finding the relationship between (G,*) and (G,dG) and ultimately concludes that they are the same up to isomorphism.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Exercise 1.2:2.
(i) If G is a group
Define an operation dG on |G| by dG(x, y) = x*y^-1.
Does the group given by (G,dG) determine the original group G with *
(I.e., if G1 and G2 yield the same pair, (G1,dG1) = (G2,dG2) , must G1 = G2?)

There is a part II, but I would rather focus on I first.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I started by noting that G,dG forces every element to be of order 2 since:
x dG x = x*x^-1 = e = x dG x^-1 thus x^-1 = x

Thus G,dG is a klein group. I'm not sure how to proceed, any hint would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know (G,*) then you know (G,dG). Now ask yourself, if you know (G,dG) then can you figure out what (G,*) is? Hint: dG(x,y^(-1))=x*y.

Starting from (G,dG)

dG(x,y) = x*y^-1

thus

x*y = dG(x,y^-1)

Since (G,dG) = (H,dH)

x*y = dG(x,y^-1) = dH(x,y^-1) = x*y (* in terms of H)

Thus G = H

I guess I'm a little confused what it means for G = H. Am I trying to show that they have the same universe and operation or that they are the same upto isomorphism?

You can only show that they are the same up to isomorphism. That's the strongest sense of 'same' you can ever hope to prove.

Related to Is the group (G,dG) isomorphic to the original group G?

1. What is a group with a new operation?

A group with a new operation is a mathematical structure in which a set of elements is combined with a binary operation that satisfies certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and identity. The operation can be any mathematical operation, not just addition or multiplication.

2. How is a group with a new operation different from a regular group?

A regular group has a specific binary operation, such as addition or multiplication, that is used to combine its elements. In contrast, a group with a new operation can have any type of operation, making it more versatile and applicable to different mathematical concepts.

3. What are some examples of groups with new operations?

Some examples of groups with new operations include the set of real numbers with the operation of multiplication, the set of all invertible matrices with the operation of matrix multiplication, and the set of all permutations of a finite set with the operation of composition.

4. How are groups with new operations useful in mathematics?

Groups with new operations are useful in mathematics because they allow for the study of different mathematical structures and concepts. They can help to generalize and unify different mathematical concepts, and can also be applied to various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography.

5. What are some properties of groups with new operations?

Some properties of groups with new operations include closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. Additionally, these groups may also exhibit properties such as commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of a neutral element. These properties play a crucial role in the study and application of groups with new operations in mathematics.