Is the given set path connected? A Domain?

In summary: If you say so, but then I wonder what was meant by "determine". Anyway, the construction is pretty easy.In summary, the set given by ##r>0##, ##- \pi < \Theta < \pi## is path connected and a domain.
Bashyboy
Member warned about posting without the Homework template
Hello everyone,

Here is the definition of path connected and domain my textbook provides:

Definition 171. An open set S is path connected if each pair of points in S can be connected
by a polygonal line (e.g. a finite number of line segments connected end to end). A domain
is an open set that is path connected.

I am asked to determine whether "The set given by ##r>0##, ##- \pi < \Theta < \pi##" is path connected and is a domain.

I just want to make sure I understand exactly what the set is. Is the set they describe ##S = \{(r,\Theta)~|~r >0 \wedge \Theta \in (- \pi, \pi) \}##; and does this set consist of all the points in the complex plane, other than those along the negative real-axis?

If that's the case, it would seem as though it would be path connected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

Here is the definition of path connected and domain my textbook provides:

Definition 171. An open set S is path connected if each pair of points in S can be connected
by a polygonal line (e.g. a finite number of line segments connected end to end). A domain
is an open set that is path connected.

I am asked to determine whether "The set given by ##r>0##, ##- \pi < \Theta < \pi##" is path connected and is a domain.

I just want to make sure I understand exactly what the set is. Is the set they describe ##S = \{(r,\Theta)~|~r >0 \wedge \Theta \in (- \pi, \pi) \}##; and does this set consist of all the points in the complex plane, other than those along the negative real-axis?

If that's the case, it would seem as though it would be path connected.

Sounds correct so far.

I would argue that it is connected because any two points in the plane can be connected by a certain number of polygonal lines, just so long as these lines never pass through the negative real axis.

Bashyboy said:
I would argue that it is connected because any two points in the plane can be connected by a certain number of polygonal lines, just so long as these lines never pass through the negative real axis.
But you have not shown that can be done.

Bashyboy said:

Fine. That wouldn't be hard to show in detail. Is it a domain?

Yes, it is a domain, because the set is an open one, and we have just agreed that it is path connected.

What do you mean by showing in detail? How would you be more detailed in answering this question? I am curious to know.

Bashyboy said:
What do you mean by showing in detail? How would you be more detailed in answering this question?
Not sure, but I think Dick is making the same point I made: your approach is ok but what you have written so far does not prove there exists any such path. Try constructing one: "Given two points in the plane, not lying on the negative X axis or at the origin, with co-ordinates (etc.), the following path contained in the set connects them ..."

Oh, I don't believe the book is asking for a rigorous proof, but rather an intuitive consideration of the problem; additionally, I wouldn't really know how to construct a proof because our textbook has not covered it.

Bashyboy said:
Oh, I don't believe the book is asking for a rigorous proof, but rather an intuitive consideration of the problem; additionally, I wouldn't really know how to construct a proof because our textbook has not covered it.
If you say so, but then I wonder what was meant by "determine". Anyway, the construction is pretty easy.

Bashyboy said:

A detailed proof wouldn't be very interesting. But you should still think about how you might make one.

Related to Is the given set path connected? A Domain?

1. What does it mean for a set path to be connected?

A set path is connected if it is possible to travel from any point to any other point on the path without ever leaving the path. In other words, there are no gaps or breaks in the path that would require you to leave and re-enter.

2. How do you determine if a given set path is connected?

To determine if a set path is connected, you can visually inspect the path and look for any gaps or breaks. Another method is to start at one point and try to reach all other points on the path without ever leaving it. If you are able to do so, then the set path is connected.

3. What are some real-world examples of connected set paths?

One example of a connected set path is a road network in a city. You can travel from any point in the city to any other point without leaving the road network. Another example is a hiking trail that loops back to its starting point, allowing you to travel the entire path without ever leaving it.

4. Can a set path be partially connected?

Yes, a set path can be partially connected. This means that some parts of the path are connected, while others are not. For example, a hiking trail may have a section that requires you to leave the trail and re-enter at a different point, making that section not connected.

5. How does the concept of connected set paths relate to domains in mathematics?

In mathematics, a domain is a set of values for which a function is defined. The concept of connected set paths is related to domains in that a connected set path can be thought of as a continuous domain, where there are no breaks or gaps in the values that the function can take. Similarly, a partially connected set path can be thought of as a discontinuous domain, where there are breaks or gaps in the values of the function.