Is the Function f(x,y) Continuous at the Points (1,1) and (1,0)?

Therefore, since f is zero for y = 0, and for all other (x, y) close to (1, 0), f is close to 0, f is continuous at (1, 0). In summary, the function f:R2 -> R is continuous at (1,1) but not continuous at (1,0). At (1,1), the reasoning is that e^{-x^{2}/y^{2}} is continuous on R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}, and (1,1) \in R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}. At (1,0), the reasoning is that for f to
utleysthrow

Homework Statement

f:R2 -> R

f(x,y) = [tex]e^{-x^{2}/y^{2}}[/tex] if y is not 0, and 0 if y is 0

a) At (1,1), is f continuous?
b) At (1,0), is f continuous?

Homework Equations

The function f is continuous at the point c if for every sequence (xn) in X with limit lim xn = c, we have lim f(xn) = f(c).

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I think it is continuous at (1,1). My reasoning is that [tex]e^{-x^{2}/y^{2}}[/tex] is continuous on [tex]R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}[/tex], and [tex](1,1) \in R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}[/tex].

b) I don't think this is true... but not sure how to show it.

I am trying to work with the definition: "The function f is continuous at the point c if for every sequence (xn) in X with limit lim xn = c, we have lim f(xn) = f(c)."

So if f is continuous at (1,0), that means for any lim (xn,yn) = (1,0), we have lim f(xn,yn) = f(1,0). But f(1,0) is 0, so any lim f(xn,yn) = 0.

If I choose (xn,yn) = (1, 1/n), the limit is (1,0). But lim f(xn,yn) = lim [tex]e^{-n^{2}}[/tex], which does not equal 0. Does this show that f is not continuous at point (1,0)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For b, if your function is continuous at (1, 0), then lim f(x, y) = f(1, 0) = 0, as (x, y) approaches (1, 0), independent of the path taken to get to (1, 0). If you can find one path into (1, 0) that produces a function value other than 0, that would suffice to show that the limit doesn't exist.

Is my example of such a path (that I stated above) not valid?

If (xn, yn) = (1, 1/n), it goes to (1,0), but the limit of the function value, lim f(xn, yn) = lim [tex]e^{-1/\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex] = lim [tex]e^{-n^{2}}[/tex], which does not equal 0... it goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

Last edited:
okay, I guess it wasn't. f IS continuous at (1, 0), and the function value of any path into (1, 0) is always 0.

For f to be continuous at (1,0), this condition must hold: [tex]lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(1, 0)} f(x,y) = f(1,0)=0[/tex]

First, if [tex]y=0[/tex], then f(x, y)=f(1, 0)=0. Second, if [tex]y\neq0[/tex], since [tex](x,y) \rightarrow (1,0)[/tex], we have [tex]-x^{2}/y^{2} \rightarrow -\infty[/tex] and thus [tex]f(x,y)=e^{-\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex]. So f must be continuous at (1, 0)

Yes, I agree. In your previous post, you said that lim f(xn, yn) = lim e-n2, which does not equal zero (limit as n --> infinity for yn = 1/n). As n gets large w/o bound, though, e-n2 approaches 0.

Related to Is the Function f(x,y) Continuous at the Points (1,1) and (1,0)?

1. What is continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function refers to the property of a mathematical function where the output changes smoothly as the input changes. This means that there are no sudden or abrupt changes in the output of the function.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it meets three criteria: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the importance of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to make connections between different parts of a function and analyze its behavior. It also allows us to use tools such as limits and derivatives to solve problems involving functions.

4. Can a function be continuous at some points and not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not at others. This is called a piecewise continuous function. It means that the function has different rules or equations for different intervals or sections of its domain.

5. What are the two types of discontinuity in a function?

The two types of discontinuity in a function are removable discontinuity and non-removable discontinuity. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole in the graph of the function, while a non-removable discontinuity occurs when there is a jump or break in the graph of the function.