Is the Fraction of Water Left in the Cooler Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a word problem involving a water cooler that can hold 40 litres of water when full. It asks for the fraction of water left in the cooler if 16 litres is used. The first solution provided incorrectly calculates the fraction used instead of the fraction left, while the second solution correctly calculates that 3/5 of the water remains in the cooler. The conversation concludes with a reflection on the importance of understanding problem-solving methods.
mathdad
A water cooler can hold 40 litres of water when full. What fraction of water is left in the cooler if 16 litres is used?

Solution:

16 out of 40 litres have been used.

16/40 litres.

Reduce this fraction to lowest terms.

16 ÷ 8 = 2

40 ÷ 8 = 5

Answer: 2/5 litres remain in the water cooler.

Is this right?

My friend Sue said that I am wrong.

Here is her answer:A water cooler can hold 40 litres of water when full what fraction of water is left in the cooler if 16 litres is used?

Sue's Solution:

40 - 16 = 24

24/40 = 3/5

Who is right and why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A water cooler can hold 40 litres of water when full. What fraction of water is left in the cooler if 16 litres is used?

she is ... you calculated the fraction of water used, not what is left in the tank.

Word problems kick my back side all the time. A simple problem and I couldn't get it right.

How embarrassing! This is a middle school word problem.

RTCNTC said:
How embarrassing! This is a middle school word problem.

You simply misinterpreted what was being asked...it happens to virtually everyone from time to time. :D

You are being nice to me. No one studying precalculus should get a simple application wrong. By the way, from now on I will post two daily problems. This way, I can spend more time solving questions posted in this forum. If my work is right, terrific. If not, back to the cell phone keyboard.

Last edited:
RTCNTC said:
You are being nice to me. No one studying precalculus should get a simple application wrong. By the way, from now I will post two daily problems. This way, I can spend more time solving questions posted in this forum. If my work is right, terrific. If not, back to the cell phone keyboard.

I'm actually simply being honest...I have made silly mistakes involving misinterpreting the problem, or goofing a simple arithmetic computation more times than I care to remember. I think just about everyone else here would likely attest to the same.

Careless mistakes can be embarrassing in a public forum, but the mistakes that concern me the most is when I get the wrong answer because I don't truly understand the method I am using to solve the problem. Those are the mistakes we should be the most concerned with, because they provide us with a "learning moment." :D

Check your private message.

Related to Is the Fraction of Water Left in the Cooler Correct?

What is a water cooler?

A water cooler is a device that is used to dispense clean and cool drinking water. It typically consists of a bottle or reservoir of water, a refrigeration system, and a tap or spout for dispensing the water.

How does a water cooler work?

A water cooler uses a refrigeration system to cool the water stored in the bottle or reservoir. When the tap or spout is opened, the water is released and can be collected in a cup or glass for drinking.

What are the benefits of using a water cooler?

There are several benefits to using a water cooler. These include having access to clean and cool drinking water at all times, reducing the amount of plastic waste from single-use water bottles, and potentially saving money compared to purchasing bottled water.

Can a water cooler dispense both hot and cold water?

Some water coolers have the capability to dispense both hot and cold water. These are often referred to as "hot and cold" water coolers. However, not all water coolers have this feature, so it is important to check before purchasing.

How often should a water cooler be cleaned?

It is recommended to clean a water cooler at least once every three months to prevent the growth of bacteria and ensure the quality of the water. However, if the water cooler is used frequently, it may need to be cleaned more often.