Is the Equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) Continuous? A Stupid Continuity Question

In summary, the equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) can be reduced to f(x)=(x-1) but is discontinuous at x=-1 due to division by zero. The function defined by this equation is not continuous at x=1 according to the definition of continuity for functions.
charity4thep
is the equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) continuous?

i know it can be reduced to f(x)=(x-1) but i remember that in doing so you divide by zero for x=-1 and thus it will be discontinuous at that point...

i don't know I'm really tired tonight

Physics news on Phys.org
Never go full retard...

The equation is discontinuous when the denominator is zero.

novop said:
Never go full retard...

The equation is discontinuous when the denominator is zero.

thanks man. been a while since i had calc 1 i don't remember the exact rule of this situation. doesn't help that my high school calc teacher taught me a complete 180 from what my university professor did...

Definition of continuity requires a function to be defined in point in which it is continuous.

Last edited:
by the way, the problem is not to determine if the "equation" is continuous- it is to determine if the function defined by that equation is continuous. "continuity" is defined for functions, not equations.

The definition of "f(x) is continuous at x= a" has three parts:
1) That f(a) exist.
2) That [itex]\displaytype \lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] exist.
3) That [itex]\displaytype \lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex].

As losiu99 says, [itex](x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] is not defined at x= 1 and so is not continuous there. [itex](x^2- 1)/(x-1)= x+ 1[/itex] for x not equal to 1 and is not defined at x= 1. Its graph is NOT the straight line y= x+ 1, it is the straight line y= x+ 1 with a hole at (1, 2).-

Related to Is the Equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) Continuous? A Stupid Continuity Question

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting your pencil from the paper.

2. How can I tell if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if its graph is a continuous line with no gaps or breaks. It must also have the same value at each point on the graph, meaning that the limit of the function at that point must exist and equal the function's value.

3. Is the equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) continuous?

Yes, the equation f(x)=(x^2-1)/(x+1) is continuous. This can be determined by checking that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph, and by taking the limit of the function at each point and verifying that it equals the function's value at that point.

4. Why is this a stupid question?

This is a subjective question and cannot be answered definitively. However, some may consider this question to be "stupid" because it is asking about a basic concept in calculus and the answer can easily be found by researching or studying continuity.

5. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is known as point discontinuity. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous at all points except x = 0, where it has a vertical asymptote and is therefore not continuous.