Is the Complex Number Identity True for Imaginary Numbers and Integer Powers?

Essentially, n^{2i\pi n/log} = 1 means that n is a root of unity, meaning that n is a complex number that, when raised to a certain power, results in 1. In summary, the conversation discusses the identity n^{2i\pi n/log} = 1 and the concept of roots of unity in complex numbers.
zetafunction
let be n and integer and 'i' the imaginary unit

is then true that [tex] n^{ \frac{2i\pi n}{log}} =1 [/tex]

i believe that is true

Physics news on Phys.org
zetafunction said:
let be n and integer and 'i' the imaginary unit

is then true that [tex] n^{ \frac{2i\pi n}{log}} =1 [/tex]

i believe that is true
new to this forum
and newish to complex numbers
could you explain what (2ipin)/log is?
ie what is something/log
It may be that I am unfamiliar with the notation
thanks

log by itself is meaningless. You need log(something).

thanks
I thought I would try and prove the identity but then got stuck on log of thin air

Related to Is the Complex Number Identity True for Imaginary Numbers and Integer Powers?

1. What is a complex number identity?

A complex number identity is an equation that relates two complex numbers to each other. It is used to prove the equality of two complex numbers.

2. How is a complex number identity different from a real number identity?

A complex number identity involves complex numbers, which have both a real part and an imaginary part, while a real number identity only involves real numbers. Additionally, complex number identities may involve operations such as taking the conjugate or finding the absolute value, which do not apply to real numbers.

3. What are some common examples of complex number identities?

Some common examples of complex number identities are De Moivre's theorem, the Euler's formula, and the binomial theorem for complex numbers.

4. How are complex number identities used in mathematics?

Complex number identities are used to simplify complex expressions, prove mathematical theorems, and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

5. Can complex number identities be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, complex number identities can be applied to real-world situations, particularly in fields that involve calculations with complex numbers, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.