Evaluation of a certain complex function

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding a "non imaginary" function that is equivalent to a given function and asks for any identities that would allow them to evaluate the function. They mention trying to use Euler's formula but were not able to make much progress. They later mention that they were able to resolve the problem by taking the natural logarithm and performing complex number division. They also mention the possibility of using the principal value of the complex logarithm to find a real expression for the function.
maistral
Hi. I would like to ask regarding this function that keeps on cropping up on my study (see picture below).

What I did is simply substitute values for A and b and I noticed that it ALWAYS results to a real number. If possible, I would like to obtain the "non imaginary" function that is equivalent to this function.

Sadly, I have... no "advanced experience" with regard to dealing with complex functions. Can someone point me to some identity of sorts that would allow me to evaluate this function such that all the imaginary numbers will be canceled?

I tried using Euler's formula then I couldn't do much with it, except knowing that A is cos(x) and +/- 1 is sin(x) (yes, I know. Pathetic lol).

Thank you very much!
Screenshot_20180920-142524_Chrome.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180920-142524_Chrome.jpeg
    Screenshot_20180920-142524_Chrome.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, managed to resolve the problem. I just had to take the ln(A+Bi) then do complex number division. Thanks!

maistral said:
Nevermind, managed to resolve the problem. I just had to take the ln(A+Bi) then do complex number division. Thanks!

I don't know the details of your calculation and how important they are to you, but you may be interested in looking up the principal value of the complex logarithm, if you are not already familiar with it?

(Briefly, if ##c## is any real number and ##H(c) = \{z \in \mathbb{C}\,:\, c \le \Im{z} < c + 2\pi\}## then ##z \mapsto e^z## is bijective as a function from ##H(c)## to ##\mathbb{C} \setminus \{0\}##. So, for every choice of ##c## there exists an inverse which we might denote by ##\ln##. However, usually this is reserved for the particular inverse corresponding to the choice ##c = -\pi## and then ##\ln## is called the principal value of the logarithm.)

If you use the principal value logarithm, then you find indeed that ##\ln{\frac{A + i}{A - i}} = 2 i \arg{(A + i)} \pmod{2\pi i}## with ##\arg(A + I) \in [-\pi, \pi)## so if ##A## and ##b## are real, then so is your expression.

Last edited:

Related to Evaluation of a certain complex function

1. What is the purpose of evaluating a certain complex function?

The purpose of evaluating a certain complex function is to determine the output or result of the function for a given input. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and its relationship with other variables in a mathematical or scientific context.

2. How do you evaluate a complex function?

Evaluating a complex function involves substituting the given input values into the function and simplifying the resulting expression using mathematical operations and rules. In some cases, complex functions may also require the use of specialized techniques such as integration or differentiation.

3. What are the key factors to consider when evaluating a complex function?

Some key factors to consider when evaluating a complex function include the domain and range of the function, the presence of any special functions or constants, and understanding the behavior of the function for different input values. It is also important to pay attention to any potential errors or limitations in the evaluation process.

4. Can a complex function have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple solutions or outputs for a given input. This is because complex functions can have different branches or paths that lead to different results. It is important to specify the domain and range of the function to determine the appropriate solution.

5. How can the evaluation of a complex function be applied in real-world situations?

The evaluation of a complex function has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze various phenomena and systems, make predictions and decisions, and solve complex problems. It is also essential in understanding and developing new technologies and processes.