Is the Bernoulli's equation for airplane wings using metric units correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Bernoulli's principle to airplane wings and the correct equation to use. It is clarified that the equation provided in the website is for dynamic pressure, which can be derived from the original Bernoulli's equation. The issue with the units is also addressed and a conversion factor is provided for using the metric system. It is advised to consult with experts and double check calculations to ensure accuracy.
Hi everyone,

I read on a website that the Bernoulli's expression can be applied to airplane wings by using the equation:

Difference in pressure above and below wing
= 1/2 x air density x [(airflow velocity below wing)^2 - (airflow velocity above wing)^2]

I tried using it but the units don't seem to add up correctly when I use the metric system (kg/m^3 for density, m/s for velocity).
The website uses (slugs/ft^3) for density, and (ft/s) for velocity.

Can anybody tell me if this equation is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What they express is simply the difference in dynamic pressure. Dynamic pressure is the first term in the Bernoulli equation. This makes the assumptions that there is no friction, no potential energy change and no compressibility effects.

Since it is dynamic pressure, the units do work out.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho V^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kg}{m^3}\frac{m^2}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kg*m^2}{m^3*s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kg*m}{s^2}\frac{m}{m^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{N}{m^2}[/tex]

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in aerodynamics, but from what I understand, the Bernoulli's principle can indeed be applied to airplane wings. However, the equation you mentioned may need to be modified based on the units you are using.

The original equation for Bernoulli's principle is:
Difference in pressure = 1/2 x density x (velocity^2)
So, if you are using the metric system, the equation would be:
Difference in pressure = 1/2 x (kg/m^3) x (m/s)^2

To convert the units from slugs/ft^3 to kg/m^3, you can use the conversion factor of 1 slug = 14.59 kg and 1 ft = 0.3048 m. So, the equation would become:
Difference in pressure = 1/2 x (14.59 kg/m^3) x (0.3048 m/s)^2

I hope this helps clarify the issue with the units. Keep in mind that the equation may also need to be adjusted based on other factors such as air temperature and altitude. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and consult with experts in the field. Good luck!

Related to Is the Bernoulli's equation for airplane wings using metric units correct?

What is Bernoulli's law?

Bernoulli's law, also known as the Bernoulli principle, is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between fluid speed and pressure. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure of the fluid decreases.

How is Bernoulli's law applied in real life?

Bernoulli's law is applied in many real-life situations, such as in aviation, where it is used to explain lift on airplane wings. It is also used in the design of carburetors, where it helps to mix air and fuel for combustion in engines. Additionally, it is used in the design of sports equipment, such as golf balls and tennis balls.

What are the assumptions of Bernoulli's law?

There are three main assumptions of Bernoulli's law: the fluid is non-viscous (no internal friction), the fluid is incompressible (constant density), and the flow is steady (no changes in speed or direction over time).

What are some limitations of Bernoulli's law?

While Bernoulli's law is a useful principle for understanding fluid behavior, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not account for the effects of turbulence or viscosity in real fluids. It also assumes that the fluid is flowing in a straight line, which may not always be the case in real-life situations.

How is Bernoulli's law related to the conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's law is a specific application of the law of conservation of energy. The decrease in pressure in a fluid as its speed increases is a result of the conversion of potential energy (stored pressure) to kinetic energy (movement). This is in accordance with the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.