Is the Alternative Method for Integration by Parts Simpler?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different ways to write the integration by parts formula, with one method being more simplified and the other being more rigorous. An example is given to show how the simplified method works, and it is mentioned that the constant of integration can be added at the end. It is suggested that the rigorous method is used for the sake of mathematical rigor.
DivergentSpectrum
I have a question why everyone says
∫uv' dx=uv-∫u'v dx
why don't they replace v' with v and v with ∫vdx and say
∫uv dx=u∫vdx-∫(u'∫vdx) dx

i think this form is a lot simpler because you can just plug in and calculate, the other form forces you to think backwards and is unnecessarily complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
DivergentSpectrum said:
I have a question why everyone says
∫uv' dx=uv-∫u'v dx
why don't they replace v' with v and v with ∫vdx and say
∫uv dx=u∫vdx-∫(u'∫vdx) dx

i think this form is a lot simpler because you can just plug in and calculate, the other form forces you to think backwards and is unnecessarily complicated.
Show us an example of how this would work, with say ##\int xe^xdx##.

u=x
v=e^x
∫(x*e^x)dx=x*∫e^xdx-∫e^xdx
=xe^x-e^x+c

right? its a lot simpler than thinking backwards and doing the substitution i always have to right it down my way cause the other way is too complicated.

edit: i just noticed that perhaps some people may be confused as to where the constant of integration goes
∫(x*e^x)dx=x*(e^x+c)-(e^x+c)
this would be wrong but as long as you keep in mind that the constant cooresponds to a vertical translation you can't go wrong. so I am guessing for the sake of mathematical rigor they use the other form?

Last edited:
DivergentSpectrum said:
u=x
v=e^x
=xe^x-e^x+c

right?
You checked it, didn't you?
DivergentSpectrum said:
its a lot simpler than thinking backwards and doing the substitution i always have to right it down my way cause the other way is too complicated.
I think of it like this: ∫v du = uv - ∫u dv. That's not very complicated.
DivergentSpectrum said:
edit: i just noticed that perhaps some people may be confused as to where the constant of integration goes
∫(x*e^x)dx=x*(e^x+c)-(e^x+c)
Ignore it in your intermediate work. Just add it at the end.
DivergentSpectrum said:
this would be wrong but as long as you keep in mind that the constant cooresponds to a vertical translation you can't go wrong. so I am guessing for the sake of mathematical rigor they use the other form?

Related to Is the Alternative Method for Integration by Parts Simpler?

What is integration by parts form?

Integration by parts form is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals that involve the product of two functions. It is based on the product rule in calculus and allows for the integration of functions that cannot be solved by other methods.

How is integration by parts form used?

Integration by parts form is used by breaking down the integral into two parts and applying the product rule. This involves choosing one function to be differentiated and the other function to be integrated. The resulting integral is then solved by repeated application of the integration by parts formula.

What are the benefits of using integration by parts form?

Integration by parts form allows for the integration of a wide range of functions, including those that cannot be solved by other methods such as substitution. It is also useful in solving integrals involving trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.

What are the limitations of integration by parts form?

Integration by parts form can be time-consuming and requires a good understanding of the product rule and integration techniques. It may also not work for all integrals, and in some cases, other methods may be more efficient.

What are some examples of integrals that can be solved using integration by parts form?

Integrals involving products of polynomials, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions can be solved using integration by parts form. For example, the integral of x * sin(x) can be solved using integration by parts form.