Is that a real scientific journal? Look carefully

In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in open-access scientific journals and the questionable legitimacy of some of these journals. The use of fake journals and the importance of using credible sources, such as APS and Google Scholar, is also mentioned. The speaker advises caution when using open-access journals and recommends the use of tools like readcube for obtaining credible research.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is that a "real" scientific journal? Look carefully!

Article in today's New York Times about the increasing number of open-access scientific journals, some or many of which have questionable legitimacy:

Scientific Articles Accepted (Personal Checks, Too)

Physics news on Phys.org
I get emails about every other week from various fake journals about a "call for papers". A big tipoff is when they address me as Professor. lol

I never trusted open access journals outside of arxiv. I usually go through aps as I was able to obtain free subscriptions to research papers because of my student status etcetera. Otherwise, google scholar is a good tool to use for your research as well as readcube that compiles a bunch of credible research articles related to certain topics that you would like to know more about.

I use readcube more often than any other engine as I tend to get more information if I go that route. All in all, I'd tread along the "open-access" a bit carefully.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully evaluate the credibility of any scientific journal before considering it to be a reliable source of information. This includes open-access journals, which have become increasingly common in recent years.

While some open-access journals are reputable and follow rigorous peer-review processes, others may have questionable legitimacy. It is important to thoroughly examine the journal's website, editorial board, publication policies, and other factors to determine its credibility.

In this case, the fact that the New York Times is reporting on the issue of questionable open-access journals is a red flag. It is important to look carefully at the journal in question and its practices to determine if it meets the standards of a legitimate scientific journal. Personal checks being accepted for publication fees is also a concerning factor, as it may indicate a lack of proper peer-review and editorial processes.

Ultimately, as scientists, it is our responsibility to critically evaluate the sources of information we use in our work. This includes carefully examining the credibility of scientific journals, regardless of whether they are open-access or traditional subscription-based.

Related to Is that a real scientific journal? Look carefully

1. Is it important to determine if a journal is real?

Yes, it is important to determine if a journal is real because it ensures that the information and research published in the journal have undergone a rigorous peer-review process and meet scientific standards. It also helps to avoid publishing and citing fraudulent or unreliable information.

2. How can I tell if a journal is real?

There are several ways to determine if a journal is real. One way is to check if it is listed in reputable databases such as PubMed or Web of Science. You can also look for the journal's official website and verify if it is affiliated with a legitimate academic institution or publisher. Additionally, you can check if the journal has an ISSN (International Standard Serial Number) or if it is indexed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).

3. What are some red flags that indicate a journal may not be real?

Some red flags that indicate a journal may not be real include a lack of clear submission and peer-review processes, minimal information about the editorial board or publisher, and a high acceptance rate without proper evaluation of the submitted research. Additionally, if the journal charges exorbitant fees or promises a quick publication process, it is worth investigating further before considering submitting your work.

4. Can a fake journal be listed in reputable databases or indexes?

Yes, it is possible for a fake journal to be listed in reputable databases or indexes. However, these databases and indexes usually have strict criteria for inclusion and continuously monitor and verify the legitimacy of the journals they list. Therefore, it is less likely for a fake journal to be listed in these databases for an extended period of time.

5. What should I do if I suspect a journal is not real?

If you suspect a journal is not real, it is best to avoid submitting your work to it or citing any information from it. You can also report your suspicions to the appropriate authorities, such as the publisher or indexing service, to help prevent others from being misled. Additionally, you can conduct further research and seek the opinion of other experts in the field to confirm your suspicions.