Is Splitting the Interval a Valid Approach to Prove Uniform Continuity?

In summary: No problem, I just assumed you meant what you said.In summary, the author is trying to find a c such that for all x>M there exists an x,u such that |f(x)-f(u)|>M. The author is having trouble proving this and is seeking help from others.
mmmboh
[PLAIN]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/78/52649134.jpg

So I've thought of a few ideas on how to prove this, but only one so far that I've sort of figured out what to do. What I want to do is split the interval up in two, so from [0,b] and from (b, ∞), for some b in the reals. Now since f is continuous on a close bounded interval [0,b], it is uniformly continuous in that interval, so now I have to show it is uniformly continuous in (b, ∞). What I thought I could do was show that this interval is Lipschitz continuous since limx->∞f(x)=A...right now I just intuitively believe this to be true, I am trying to prove it. I said suppose f wasn't lipschitz continuous in (b, ∞) for any b, then there doesn't exist a k>0 such that |f(x)-f(u)|<k|x-u| for all x,u in (b, ∞). Then by the archimedian property, there exists x,u in (b, ∞) such that |f(x)-f(u)|> M for all M in the naturals. Now what I want to show is that this implies that there is an c in (b, ∞) such that limx->cf(x)= ∞, which is impossible since f is continuous in this interval...but I am having trouble doing this.

Can anyone help? And does anyone know for sure if what I am doing is right? if my hypothesis that there is an interval (b, ∞) for some b such that the interval is Lipschitz continuous is wrong, I would like to know!

By the way, for the converse, I said that f(x)=x is uniformly continuous on [0, ∞), but limx->∞f(x)=∞, so the converse isn't true.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to prove that there exists a c such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}{f(x)}=\infty[/tex]. I don't really see why you want this, but what you are trying to do isn't always true, sadly...

Take for example the function [tex]f(x)=\sin(x^2)[/tex]... This isn't uniformly continuous and not Lipschitz, but there also does not exist a c such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}{f(x)}=\infty[/tex].
But note that this f does not contradict our theorem, since the limit of x does not exist...

Hmm, I'm not sure of your approach, but I think there is a much simpler route, namely make direct estimates, that doesn't involve showing Lipschitz continuity, which is a stronger condition.

Take e > 0. The basic idea is that the limit at infinity imposes a growth condition, so that for all x > M, some M > 0, |f(x) - A| < e/3. Now you already have the correct idea for how to deal with [0, M], namely that compactness gives us uniform continuity on this interval. It remains to show that the delta you obtain from the uniform continuity condition over [0,M] works on [0, infinity), and this should just be casework (consider possibilities for |x-y| when x, y are chosen to be nonnegative).

No sorry (to micromass), I think you misunderstood. What I am trying to prove is that if |f(x)-f(u)|> M for all M in the naturals, then there is a c in (b, ∞) such that limx->cf(x)= ∞...in your example you couldn't find an an x,u such that |f(x)-f(u)|> M for all M in the naturals. I believe if I can prove this then I can prove my problem.

Snipez90:Ok thanks! I'll try that.

Yes, you are correct. But in your problem, you can find for every M an x,u such that |f(x)-f(u)|>M. But I don't think these x and u are necessairily the same for every M...

Yes, that seems mighty fine :cool:

And did I understand what I'm suppose to do for the converse statement right? as in f(x)=x disproves it?

Yes, f(x)=sin(x) disproves the converse statement.

I said f(x)=x actually, but I take it it's right. Thanks!

Oh sorry, I meant f(x)=x. Sometimes my hands write crazy things

Related to Is Splitting the Interval a Valid Approach to Prove Uniform Continuity?

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity in mathematics that describes how a function behaves as its input values approach each other. It means that the function's rate of change remains consistent as the input values get closer together. In simpler terms, a function is uniformly continuous if it does not have any abrupt changes or "jumps" in its behavior.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stricter condition than regular continuity. While regular continuity only requires that the function is continuous at each point, uniform continuity also requires that the function's behavior is consistent between points. This means that a function can be continuous but not uniformly continuous.

3. What is the difference between uniform continuity and Lipschitz continuity?

Lipschitz continuity is a stronger condition than uniform continuity. While uniform continuity only requires that the function's rate of change remains consistent, Lipschitz continuity also puts a limit on how fast the function can change. In other words, a function can be uniformly continuous but not Lipschitz continuous.

4. How can I prove that a function is uniformly continuous?

To prove that a function is uniformly continuous, you can use the formal definition which states that for any given epsilon (>0), there exists a delta (>0) such that the distance between the function's output values is less than epsilon whenever the distance between its input values is less than delta. Another way to prove uniform continuity is by showing that the function is Lipschitz continuous.

5. Does every continuous function have to be uniformly continuous?

No, not every continuous function is uniformly continuous. While all uniformly continuous functions are also continuous, the reverse is not always true. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous but not uniformly continuous. It is important to note that continuity and uniform continuity are different properties and should not be used interchangeably.