Is Space an Object Capable of Bending?

• B
  • Thread starter AishaGirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and whether it is a physical object or not. The participants argue that space is not a thing but rather a mathematical construct used to describe the relationships between objects. They also mention that space can be affected by the presence of mass or energy, but it cannot be measured without the use of matter. The conversation ends with the understanding that this question falls more into philosophy than science and cannot be answered definitively at this time.
AishaGirl
What I don't understand about the universe is empty space must be made of some kind of material or substance because stars and other large bodies, in fact anything with mass can bend space then it must be made of something which has the capability to bend and be distorted.

How can space bend if space is not a thing? I don't understand.

Space news on Phys.org
AishaGirl said:
then it must be made of something which has the capability to bend and be distorted.
It does not necessarily need to be made of anything. Light can be bent as a result of strong gravitational fields, which is what happens in the case of black holes.

AishaGirl said:
What I don't understand about the universe is empty space must be made of some kind of material or substance because stars and other large bodies, in fact anything with mass can bend space then it must be made of something which has the capability to bend and be distorted.

You are having a very common misunderstanding, based on pop-sci presentations. Space is not a thing and does not actually bend or warp or do any of those things. What DOES happen is that things travel on what are called "geodesics", which are straight lines in Riemann Geometry, which is the geometry that describes space-time. When looked at from the point of view of Euclidean Geometry, those same lines are "bent" or "curved". So we SAY that heavy objects like planets "bend" spacetime but that's just shorthand for what I just said.

Likes QuantumQuest
AishaGirl said:

As phinds said, Space isn't bending. That's just a common way to describe it because the effect is somewhat similar to what happens if you bend the surface of an object. What happens is that the geometry of spacetime changes in the presence of mass or energy.

Still, your question has merit and the question of whether space (or spacetime) is a "thing" depends upon your definition of what a "thing" is. This gets into metaphysics and there's no consensus that I know of at this time.

Space is like a force. Is a force made of some kind of material? I don't know the fact is that it is a measurable quantity that has effects on things in the nature. We cannot see a force but only its effect ad we cannot see the space but the extension of the space ...
I don't know if this clarify, sometimes speaking on these thin interpretations I get confused ...

Ssnow

This may be too philosophical a question for PF, because you can't resolve it to one way or the other with any experimental data... Ernst Mach said something along the lines "Space is a mental abstraction that we construct to describe relationships between objects", which clearly implies a view that without objects like planets, stars, dust clouds, etc. there is no space. Then again, an "empty" space can contain energy in the form of gravitational waves, but you can't measure that energy without also having matter present (because any measuring instrument, not to mention a person using it, must necessarily be made of matter).

Likes Drakkith
hilbert2 said:
This may be too philosophical a question for PF, because you can't resolve it to one way or the other with any experimental data...

I think that's certainly a valid point.

AishaGirl, I don't mean to shut down your question, but the fact is that this falls more into philosophy than science and we don't usually allow philosophy here at PF. If you'd like to understand how science models spacetime and all the rules we use to predict things within it, feel free to ask. But the question of "is space an object" just cannot be answered at this time.

Thread locked.

Related to Is Space an Object Capable of Bending?

1. What is an object in the context of the universe?

An object in the context of the universe refers to any physical entity that exists in the vast expanse of space. This can include planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. How can we determine if the universe is an object?

Scientists use various methods, such as observations, mathematical models, and experiments, to study the universe and understand its properties. Through these methods, it has been determined that the universe can be considered an object, as it has a defined structure and is governed by physical laws.

3. Are there different theories about the nature of the universe as an object?

Yes, there are different theories about the nature of the universe. Some theories propose that the universe is a single, self-contained object, while others suggest that it is part of a larger multiverse. There are also theories that view the universe as a constantly expanding and evolving object.

4. How does the concept of an object apply to the universe?

The concept of an object applies to the universe in the sense that it is a physical entity with a defined structure and properties. However, the universe is a unique object, as it is constantly expanding and contains all other objects within it.

5. Can we ever fully understand the universe as an object?

It is unlikely that we will ever fully understand the universe as an object. As our technology and understanding of the universe improves, we may gain more knowledge about its properties, but there will always be mysteries and unknowns that we may never fully comprehend.