Is sound a renewable energy or non-renewable energy?

In summary, sound can be considered both renewable and non-renewable energy depending on the original source. However, it is primarily a carrier of energy rather than a source itself. While some natural sources of sound, such as wind, can be classified as renewable, most man-made sources are generated by non-renewable sources. Therefore, the potential for harvesting energy from sound is limited.
whatsonb
I've been searching the web for this answer and can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help me? Is sound a renewable energy or non-renewable energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Renewable in general. However, most loud noises are man made and are generated by non-renewable sources.

Exceptions might include shoals of shrimp (218dB) or tectonic activities (volcanos).

Likes sophiecentaur
whatsonb said:
I've been searching the web for this answer and can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help me? Is sound a renewable energy or non-renewable energy?
I would guess that this question is being asked in response to a 'School Science' homework type question. Actually, no Energy is Renewable. Once it's been used, it's gone and needs to be replenished. Resources, on the other hand, can be replenished from the Sun / heat from the Earth because they will keep delivering energy for use. I have always argued against the term 'Renewable Energy' and the establishment seems to have caught on because it now is mostly referred to as 'sustainable energy resources'.
There is no useful source of naturally occurring sound energy that could be used in a realistic way (nothing that runs continuously is noisy enough). The sound that people want to make use of is what you get in 'noisy environments', such as factories, busy traffic areas etc.. I guess it is sustainable - until they clear up the noise problems with traffic and machinery. I always reckon that the so-called Harvesting of energy in these situations is seldom very productive but that improving efficiency of machines would reduce sound levels and save money / energy directly.
But, if you are stuck with being asked about categorising 'energy types' and your teachers say that you are wrong then you could challenge them (I dare you :))) or just go along with what they say until you are out of the system and can get away with thinking independently.

Likes jbriggs444 and Jeff Rosenbury
Jeff Rosenbury said:
Renewable in general. However, most loud noises are man made and are generated by non-renewable sources.
So I would generalize and say that sound is not an energy source at all, but an energy carrier. So whether it is renewable depends on the original source. Background noise in the environment mostly comes from wind, which is solar powered and thus "renewable" under the standard definition. Sound from a car engine comes from oil, which is not renewable.

Either way, I agree that there is very little energy to be harvested from sound.

Likes davenn

Related to Is sound a renewable energy or non-renewable energy?

1. Is sound considered a renewable or non-renewable energy source?

Sound is not considered a renewable or non-renewable energy source on its own. It is a form of energy that can be harnessed and converted into other types of energy, such as electrical energy, which can be renewable or non-renewable depending on the method of production.

2. Can sound be used as a sustainable energy source?

Yes, sound can be used as a sustainable energy source in some cases. For example, sound waves can be used to generate electricity through the use of piezoelectric materials, which can be considered a sustainable method of energy production.

3. What are the advantages of using sound as an energy source?

One of the main advantages of using sound as an energy source is that it is abundant and can be found almost everywhere. Sound energy is also considered clean and non-polluting, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to other sources of energy.

4. Are there any limitations to using sound as an energy source?

Yes, there are limitations to using sound as an energy source. One of the main limitations is that sound energy cannot be stored, which makes it difficult to use as a consistent and reliable source of energy. Additionally, the conversion of sound energy into other forms of energy can be inefficient and costly.

5. How is sound energy typically used?

Sound energy is commonly used for communication, such as in telephones and microphones. It can also be used for entertainment purposes, such as in speakers and musical instruments. In some cases, sound energy can also be harnessed for practical purposes, such as in sonar technology.