Is Scientific Knowledge Just Common Sense? A Look at Hawking's Universe

In summary, the recent episode of Naked Science on the National Geographic Channel explored Stephen Hawking's groundbreaking theories on the origin of the universe. The hour included interviews with the legendary physicist, who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease at the young age of 21. The conversation also touched on a humorous misunderstanding of the term "physicist" and the blurring of words in modern society. Overall, the episode delved into the complexities of scientific knowledge and its relationship with common-sense understanding.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Tonight's episode of Naked Science on the National Geographic Channel.

Naked Science: Hawking's Universe: Exploring Stephen Hawking's groundbreaking theories about the origin of the universe. The hour includes interviews with the legendary physician, who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease at the age of 21.

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL! It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about with the thread title, then I got to the last line. :smile: It's better than calling him a psychic at least. :wink:

Evo said:
interviews with the legendary physician...

...noted astrologers and cosmetologists, as well.

Ivan Seeking said:
...noted astrologers and cosmetologists, as well.
:smile: I remember when I was young, eons ago, I mentioned to someone that I was interested in cosmology. Their reply, "Oh, my sister is a hairdresser!".

i think physicians were actually called physics, once.

Ah I was going to join you guys in a hearty laughter there, but then I caught myself in some snobbism moment and realized.. we are laughing at people's mistakes, stupidity, or just ignorance in most cases. Which brings me to my other point, and that is.. I'm not sure we get to laugh at it at all

I see 'skills, crafts and trades' ads for cosmetologists and nail technicians frequently. Words don't mean much anymore. Karl Popper hinted around this in the first few pages of The Logic of Scientific Discovery. My notes from the page,
Scientific knowledge is a development of common-sense knowledge is a formulation in ordinary language and invisible to those confining themselves to the ordinary and common-sensical.

Related to Is Scientific Knowledge Just Common Sense? A Look at Hawking's Universe

1. What is "Welcome to Physician's Forum"?

"Welcome to Physician's Forum" is a virtual platform designed for physicians, medical students, and other healthcare professionals to share knowledge, discuss current medical topics, and network with others in the healthcare community. It aims to provide a space for collaboration and learning among medical professionals.

2. Who can join "Welcome to Physician's Forum"?

Any licensed physician, medical student, or other healthcare professional is welcome to join "Welcome to Physician's Forum". However, the platform is primarily geared towards those in the medical field, so individuals from other industries may not find it as relevant or useful.

3. How can I join "Welcome to Physician's Forum"?

To join "Welcome to Physician's Forum", simply visit the website and click on the "Join" button. You will then be prompted to create an account by providing some basic information such as your name, email, and profession. Once your account is created, you will have access to all the features and discussions on the platform.

4. Is "Welcome to Physician's Forum" free to use?

Yes, "Welcome to Physician's Forum" is completely free to use. There are no hidden fees or subscription costs. We believe in providing a free platform for medical professionals to connect and share knowledge with each other.

5. Can I access "Welcome to Physician's Forum" on my mobile device?

Yes, "Welcome to Physician's Forum" is accessible on both desktop and mobile devices. We have a mobile-friendly version of the website that can be accessed through your mobile browser. Additionally, we also have a mobile app available for iOS and Android devices for a more seamless user experience.