Is <S> equal to the intersection of all ideals in R that contain S?

• Thread starter cchatham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the three statements that are equivalent for S\subseteqR, S\neq\oslash, and R is a commutative ring with unity are: 1. <S> is the ideal generated by S. 2. <S> = \bigcap(I Ideal in R, S\subseteqI) = J. 3. <S> = {\sumrisi: is any integer from 1 to n, ri\inR \foralli and si\inS \foralli} = K. To prove statement 2 \Rightarrow 3, we assume <S> = J and choose a \inK. We then show that J\subseteqK.S \subseteq I \
cchatham

Homework Statement

The following are equivalent for S[tex]\subseteq[/tex]R, S[tex]\neq[/tex][tex]\oslash[/tex], and R is a commutative ring with unity(multiplicative identity):

1. <S> is the ideal generated by S.
2. <S> = [tex]\bigcap[/tex](I Ideal in R, S[tex]\subseteq[/tex]I) = J
3. <S> = {[tex]\sum[/tex]risi: is any integer from 1 to n, ri[tex]\in[/tex]R [tex]\forall[/tex]i and si[tex]\in[/tex]S [tex]\forall[/tex]i} = K

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been some time since I worked on this and at the time I understood everything I was working on but now when I look at it, I'm thoroughly confused. Where I got stuck is showing 2 [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] 3. I've got, assume <S> = J. Choose a [tex]\in[/tex]K. Let I be an ideal of R that contains S. Because each ri[tex]\in[/tex]R, si[tex]\in[/tex]S, each risi[tex]\in[/tex]I by IO closure. Then a [tex]\in[/tex] I by closure under addition. Thus a [tex]\in[/tex] J and K[tex]\subseteq[/tex]J.

I'm having trouble with starting to show that J[tex]\subseteq[/tex]K.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]S \subseteq I \Rightarrow \forall s \in S, (s) \subseteq I[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Is <S> equal to the intersection of all ideals in R that contain S?

1. What is the definition of an ideal in a commutative ring?

An ideal in a commutative ring is a subset of the ring that satisfies certain properties. Specifically, it must be closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring, and it must contain the additive identity element. In addition, it must also be an additive subgroup of the ring.

2. How are ideals related to the ring's operations of addition and multiplication?

Ideals in a commutative ring are closely related to the ring's operations of addition and multiplication. The ideal must be closed under both operations, meaning that adding two elements in the ideal will result in another element in the ideal, and multiplying an element in the ideal by any element in the ring will also result in an element in the ideal.

3. What is the significance of prime and maximal ideals in commutative rings?

Prime ideals and maximal ideals are important concepts in commutative ring theory. A prime ideal is an ideal that is also a prime element in the ring, meaning that it is not divisible by any non-unit elements. A maximal ideal is an ideal that is not a subset of any other ideal besides the ring itself. These ideals have special properties that make them useful in various applications, such as in factorization and quotient rings.

4. Can two distinct ideals in a commutative ring have the same elements?

Yes, it is possible for two distinct ideals in a commutative ring to have the same elements. This occurs when one ideal is a subset of the other. In this case, the smaller ideal will have fewer elements, but both ideals will have the same elements. It is also possible for two distinct ideals to have some common elements, but not be equal.

5. How are ideals and quotient rings related?

Ideals and quotient rings are closely related concepts in commutative ring theory. A quotient ring is formed by taking the elements of a ring and dividing them by an ideal. This results in cosets, or sets of elements that are equivalent to each other modulo the ideal. In this way, ideals can be used to break down a ring into smaller, more manageable pieces. Conversely, ideals can also be formed by taking the elements of a ring and multiplying them by elements of a quotient ring.