Is S = {(a+1,b,0)|a,b are real numbers} a Subspace of R^3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the set S = {(a+1,b,0)|a,b are real numbers} is a subspace of R^3. Two counter examples are provided, but upon further examination, it is determined that S is in fact a subspace. The conversation concludes with a summary of the proof that S is a subspace.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

Show that S = {(a+1,b,0)|a,b are real numbers} is NOT a subspace of R^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I take a specific counter example:

Let k = 0 inside real, and u = (1+1,1,0) inside S
ku = 0(1+1,1,0) = (0,0,0) not inside S
So, S is not a subspace.
[I can let k = 0 right? Because 0 is also a real number]

Another counter example:
Let u = v = (-1+1,1,0) inside S
u + v = (0,2,0) not inside S
So, S is not a subspace.

Which of the counter examples should I use? It seems that the first one makes more sense to me. The second one is really weird.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lkh1986 said:

Homework Statement

Show that S = {(a+1,b,0)|a,b are real numbers} is NOT a subspace of R^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I take a specific counter example:

Let k = 0 inside real, and u = (1+1,1,0) inside S
ku = 0(1+1,1,0) = (0,0,0) not inside S
So, S is not a subspace.
[I can let k = 0 right? Because 0 is also a real number]

Another counter example:
Let u = v = (-1+1,1,0) inside S
u + v = (0,2,0) not inside S
So, S is not a subspace.

Which of the counter examples should I use? It seems that the first one makes more sense to me. The second one is really weird.

Thanks.

I don't think you should use either one. (0,0,0) is the case a=(-1) b=0. (0,2,0) is a=(-1) b=2. They are both is S. In fact, S IS a subspace. It's the same as the set {(a,b,0)}.

Dick said:
I don't think you should use either one. (0,0,0) is the case a=(-1) b=0. (0,2,0) is a=(-1) b=2. They are both is S. In fact, S IS a subspace. It's the same as the set {(a,b,0)}.

Yes, that's what I think as well. S is a subspace, because since the unknown a is a real number, so why don't I replace a+1 by another unknown, let say c, where c is also a real number.

The thing is, the answer provided says S is NOT a subspace. So it has me confused.

So, here's my steps to show S is a subspace.

(i) When a = -1, b = 0, (0,0,0) inside S.
(ii) Let vector u = (u1+1,u2,0) and vector v = (v1+1,v2,0), both inside S.
So u + v = ((u1+v1+1)+1, (u2+v2),0) also inside S.
(iii) Let k inside real and u = (u1+1,u2,0)
ku = k(u1+1,u2,0) = (ku1+k,ku2,0)= ((ku1+k-1)+1,ku2,0) also inside S.

The last part, i.e. (ku1+k,ku2,0)= ((ku1+k-1)+1,ku2,0) is a bit strange but somehow it seems okay for me.

lkh1986 said:
Yes, that's what I think as well. S is a subspace, because since the unknown a is a real number, so why don't I replace a+1 by another unknown, let say c, where c is also a real number.

The thing is, the answer provided says S is NOT a subspace. So it has me confused.

So, here's my steps to show S is a subspace.

(i) When a = -1, b = 0, (0,0,0) inside S.
(ii) Let vector u = (u1+1,u2,0) and vector v = (v1+1,v2,0), both inside S.
So u + v = ((u1+v1+1)+1, (u2+v2),0) also inside S.
(iii) Let k inside real and u = (u1+1,u2,0)
ku = k(u1+1,u2,0) = (ku1+k,ku2,0)= ((ku1+k-1)+1,ku2,0) also inside S.

The last part, i.e. (ku1+k,ku2,0)= ((ku1+k-1)+1,ku2,0) is a bit strange but somehow it seems okay for me.

Your proof looks good to me. I suspect somebody just wasn't thinking clearly when they wrote the problem.

Thanks very much for the help. Greatly appreciated. :)

Related to Is S = {(a+1,b,0)|a,b are real numbers} a Subspace of R^3?

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under vector addition, scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In simpler terms, it is a smaller space within a larger vector space that still follows the same rules and properties as the larger space.

2. How can you determine if a set of vectors is a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three properties of closure under vector addition, scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by performing operations on the vectors and checking if the result is still within the set.

3. What is the difference between a subspace and a spanning set?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows specific properties, while a spanning set is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector within a vector space through linear combination. In other words, a spanning set is used to define a vector space, while a subspace is a smaller space within that larger vector space.

4. Can a subspace contain more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can contain more than one basis. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all vectors within a subspace. However, there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that can serve as a basis for the same subspace.

5. How can linear algebra be applied to real-world problems?

Linear algebra can be applied to real-world problems in a variety of fields, such as computer graphics, economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find optimal solutions, and model real-life situations. Some common applications include image and signal processing, data compression, and machine learning algorithms.