Is Rock-n-Roll Dead? Urban Music Trends & My Reaction

• Music
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Rock 'n' Roll will never die. Despite the fact that sales are down, rock will always remain popular because it is a style of music that can be enjoyed by anyone.
gnome said:
Well, I started out listening to the likes of Dion & the Belmonts and The Kingston Trio. These days I'm more likely to be listening to Metallica (S&M is THE BEST) or J.S. Bach (heard of him?), or Korn, or Aghora, or Cold Play (you kids probably think they're "oldies" too, right?) so I think my mind is pretty open when it comes to music.

But look at Billboard or the Grammys & it's all about Usher, 50 cent, Alicia Keys. That seems to be where all the attention is these days, except when the emphasis is on nostalgia. Hip-hop, rap & that whiney stuff they call R&B.

R&B! R&B used to mean Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis. :rolleyes:

Well i think you are indeed open minded and its great you leave your ears open to experience and enjoy new music, that's IMO great-I know also that this "bubble gum pop" or anything really commercialized has always been around and while its artists come and go its the true originals that seem to sway the listeners of today and tomorrow.

Science news on Phys.org
I have 45's of Dave Clark Five, Crispian St. Peter, the Honeycombs, etc. (I still think of Aerosmith as a 'new' band.)
My mother was in her sixties, not to mention a preacher's wife, when I was in high school. She's never been good with machines, either using them or liking them. The radio and vacuum and whatnot were about the limit of her ability, and she definitely never went near the stereo. She also professed to hate 'bang bang on a dishpan' music, as she referred to rock. Imagine my surprise at coming home one day and finding her truckin' around the house with 'Smoke on the Water' just cranked. It must have taken her half an hour to figure out how to get the thing going.
Not so surprisingly, around half of my favourite bands are Canuk. I wonder how many of you know about any of them down there. I mean the really good ones that are national heroes to us. Trooper, Doug and the Slugs, Rush, The Guess Who, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Barenaked Ladies, The Trajically Hip, Helix, Quarterflash, The Killer Dwarves, Headpins, Reostatics, Men Without Hats, Ducette, Great Big Sea, Susan Aglukark, Diana Krall, Steppenwolf (I know you've heard of them and Shania Twain), Ducette, Soul Decision, Loverboy, Lighthouse, Edward Bear, Mahogany Rush... cripes, I'm not even half-through the list. You non-Canuks like any of them, or have even heard of them? :smile:

I know that you'll never make up for Celine Dion and Bryan Adams.

loseyourname said:
I know that you'll never make up for Celine Dion and Bryan Adams.
I like Adams okay; her highness is getting a bit much. Thanks for the reminder, though. I didn't mention Corey Hartk, Kim Mitchell or Tom Cochrane & Red Rider.

Danger said:
Not so surprisingly, around half of my favourite bands are Canuk. I wonder how many of you know about any of them down there. I mean the really good ones that are national heroes to us. Trooper, Doug and the Slugs, Rush, The Guess Who, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Barenaked Ladies, The Trajically Hip, Helix, Quarterflash, The Killer Dwarves, Headpins, Reostatics, Men Without Hats, Ducette, Great Big Sea, Susan Aglukark, Diana Krall, Steppenwolf (I know you've heard of them and Shania Twain), Ducette, Soul Decision, Loverboy, Lighthouse, Edward Bear, Mahogany Rush... cripes, I'm not even half-through the list. You non-Canuks like any of them, or have even heard of them? :smile:
I havn't even heard of most of those.

Smurf said:
I havn't even heard of most of those.
:bugeye: You are kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Trooper, Barenaked Ladies and the Guess who. Everyone else is lost to me.

I think we have a shortage of national heros if that's the best you can come up with.

Danger said:

Of the ones I recognize (I bolded them), I like them, or seem to recall liking them. Haven't heard any of their music in a while, so can't quite remember what they sound like. :rolleyes: Well, Barenaked Ladies is more recent, so I'm sure I like them. There are a few others in that list that sound vaguely familiar, but I can't say for certain I know them.

While you're on the subject of great Canadian musicians, don't forget about Guy Lombardo.

Oh, and take Paul Schaffer. Please! :-p :-p

Last edited:
All kidding aside, of course The Guess Who, BTO and Steppenwolf were big here "back in the day". I've heard Rush, but I don't think they ever got much attention down here. Barenaked Ladies were getting a lot of play a couple of years ago. They're good, but I haven't heard them lately. Shania Twain, sure, but I can do without country most of the time.

As for the rest of your list, I don't think I've ever even heard the names.

ummm Danger we are older then dirt.

Moonbear said:
There are a few others in that list that sound vaguely familiar, but I can't say for certain I know them.
Here's a list of some of the songs from each. Maybe you've heard some of them and just didn't know who they were by.

Trooper–Raise a Little Hell; The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car; Santa Maria; Two For the Show
Doug and the Slugs–Too Bad; Chinatown Calculation; Makin' It Work; Real Enough
Rush–Tom Sawyer; Spirit of the Radio; Closer to the Heart; Xanadu
The Guess Who–American Woman; Star Baby; Laughing; Stand Tall; Clap for the Wolfman; Hand Me Down World; Glamour Boy
BTO (that's Randy Bachman from Guess Who)–Takin' Care of Business; Let It Roll (Down the Highway); You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet; Blue Collar
Barenaked Ladies-Another Postcard With Chimpanzees; If I Had a Million Dollars; Lovers in a Dangerous( :biggrin: ) Time; It's All Been Done Before
The Tragically Hip–Blow at High Dough; At The Hundredth Meridian; Ahead By a Century; New Orleans Is Sinking

Helix–Make Me Do Anything You Want; Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'
Quarterflash– I screwed up here; they're not one of ours. I got mixed up because they sound very much like Tokan :redface:
The Killer Dwarves–Dirty Weapons; I'm Alive; Hardluck Town

Okay, this has taken me a couple of hours. I'll just post as is, then add later.

hypatia said:
ummm Danger we are older then dirt.
And dirtier... :biggrin:

come to think of it, yea, you do make dirt seem clean.

I've heard Rush, but I don't think they ever got much attention down here.
They received plenty of attention in the 70's and 80's, and their songs still get air time today.

Velvet Underground (formed in 1964) and Lou Reed were quite popular in the underground rock scene. By 1965, the Velvet Underground was a quartet: Reed, John Cale, guitarist Sterling Morrison (an old friend of Reed's), and drummer Angus MacLise. Cale, a Welshman, was classically trained and played bass, viola, and organ.

Lighthouse (1968-1974) had a popular tune, "One Fine Morning", which sounded a lot like Blood, Sweat and Tears (with English-born Canadian, David Clayton-Thomas).

Re: Rush - don't forget "Limelight" and "Subdivisions" from their Signals album.

Triumph (formed 1975) is another great Canadian rock trio. Just A Game

Mahogany Rush (formed 1969) is another power trio from Canada (Montreal) comprised guitarist Frank Marino, bassist Paul Harwood and drummer Jim Ayoub. Marino was heavily influenced by Hendrix.

Steppenwolf was formed in LA in 1967, so they are not Canadian (sorry), but John Kay (born Joachim Krauledat, Germany) did start out in a Toronto band, Sparrow.

Diana Krall is an excellent jazz pianist.

She hates time make it stop
when did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this stop
Stop!
And bring back

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
way before Nirvana
there was U2 and Blondie
and music still on MTV

:biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Steppenwolf was formed in LA in 1967, so they are not Canadian (sorry), but John Kay (born Joachim Krauledat, Germany) did start out in a Toronto band, Sparrow.
This is one of those technical points. Although Kay is German-born, he grew up in Canada. He left home at 17 or so and worked as a carnie at the Calgary Stampede. To this day, Steppenwolf plays free venues in Calgary as a show of gratitude for the way he was treated here. Candy and I caught them at McKewan Hall at U of C a few years back. We were in the front row, 3 metres from the band. :biggrin: Anyhow, I claim them in the name of Queen and Country. :-p

Astronuc said:
Lighthouse (1968-1974) had a popular tune, "One Fine Morning", which sounded a lot like Blood, Sweat and Tears (with English-born Canadian, David Clayton-Thomas).

Astronuc, I didn't think I would EVER hear of another person that could reference to Lighthouse. Their two best songs, IMO were "Pretty Lady" and "One Fine Morning". I have both on my computer right now.

What a huge production that group was. They were the precursors to BS&T and Chicago.

Danger said:
This is one of those technical points. Although Kay is German-born, he grew up in Canada. He left home at 17 or so and worked as a carnie at the Calgary Stampede. To this day, Steppenwolf plays free venues in Calgary as a show of gratitude for the way he was treated here. Candy and I caught them at McKewan Hall at U of C a few years back. We were in the front row, 3 metres from the band. :biggrin: Anyhow, I claim them in the name of Queen and Country. :-p

Ok you can have them if you take back celine dion. We don't want her.

Zantra said:
Ok you can have them if you take back celine dion. We don't want her.
Only if you throw in Alexander Graham Bell too. :-p

I don't know about other major cities, but Rush is extremely popular in Los Angeles and gets played on both classic rock stations way too much. They aren't that good. Their music is highly progressive and frankly, contrived and corny. They're fun for camp value and that's it.

loseyourname said:
Their music is highly progressive and frankly, contrived and corny. They're fun for camp value and that's it.
Do keep in mind, though, that most of it's a lot older than you are. To those of us who listened to it when it was new, it's still great. :approve:

Astronuc said:
Velvet Underground (formed in 1964) and Lou Reed were quite popular in the underground rock scene. By 1965, the Velvet Underground was a quartet: Reed, John Cale, guitarist Sterling Morrison (an old friend of Reed's), and drummer Angus MacLise. Cale, a Welshman, was classically trained and played bass, viola, and organ.

If you believe All Music, the three most popular 'underground' bands in rock's classic era were the Velvet Underground, Big Star, and Husker Du (though they came a bit later). Velvet Underground has received way more attention than either of the other two, which I've always found odd. Big Star and Husker Du always sounded to me like a nearly perfect synthesis of rock sentiments with a great pop sound, sort of like combining the feel of the Rolling Stones with the production value and musical greatness of the Beach Boys. I think Big Star's lack of success can be attributed to their short time spent together as a band and their record label. Stax was always known for R&B/Soul and they just didn't fit in. I suppose Husker Du might never have become as popular as they deserved because REM filled their niche to some extent.

Danger said:
Not so surprisingly, around half of my favourite bands are Canuk. I wonder how many of you know about any of them down there. I mean the really good ones that are national heroes to us. Trooper, Doug and the Slugs, Rush, The Guess Who, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Barenaked Ladies, The Trajically Hip, Helix, Quarterflash, The Killer Dwarves, Headpins, Reostatics, Men Without Hats, Ducette, Great Big Sea, Susan Aglukark, Diana Krall, Steppenwolf (I know you've heard of them and Shania Twain), Ducette, Soul Decision, Loverboy, Lighthouse, Edward Bear, Mahogany Rush... cripes, I'm not even half-through the list. You non-Canuks like any of them, or have even heard of them?
And I'm relatively young.

Danger said:
Do keep in mind, though, that most of it's a lot older than you are. To those of us who listened to it when it was new, it's still great. :approve:

Their most prominent albums were produced between '76 and '84. I was born smack dab in the middle in 1980. I wouldn't call that a lot older than me. Granted, I never heard their music in context right when it first came out, but that hardly means I cannot judge it. It just isn't very good music, regardless of how novel it may have sounded at the time.

By the way, Danger, you seem to have forgotten the single greatest rock artist to ever come out of Canada: Neil Young.

[edit: I should really mention that I'm not that down on Rush. I do enjoy some of their songs. I've just never understood why they get so much airtime and there are actually people that talk about them as if they're really significant and have made amazing music. On the progressive rock scale, I'd place them somewhere between Styx and Jethro Tull, no higher.]

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
Their most prominent albums were produced between '76 and '84. I was born smack dab in the middle in 1980. I wouldn't call that a lot older than me.
I just checked your bio. Sorry 'bout that; I got you mixed up with one of the teenagers. I wasn't implying that you aren't suitable to judge their quality. I just wanted to make sure that you knew how long ago they'd done it. It was nice and fresh at the time, in the same way that Foreigner and Journey were. I actually couldn't care less about social relevence or artistic expression or anything else when I listen to music. Either I like how it sounds, or I don't. A large percent of the time, I have no idea what the words are anyhow. I have to partially lip-read, and it's pretty hard to do with a stereo. You're right in saying that they aren't of Earth-shaking importance. It just doesn't matter to me; I like listening to them. As far as I'm concerned, no entertainment medium is important to society other than as a pleasant distraction from the fact that we're all going to die eventually. (There are exceptions within the media themselves, such as 'American Pie' or 'Lord of the Flies' or 'Apocolypse Now', but I don't consider them to have been intended as entertainment as much as educational commentary.)

loseyourname said:
By the way, Danger, you seem to have forgotten the single greatest rock artist to ever come out of Canada: Neil Young.
I didn't exactly forget him. That was just an off-the-top-of-my-head list. I've been getting about 4 hours of sleep per night for the past 2 weeks, and I'm typing with the keyboard on my lap, so I was just to damned tired, and my arms hurt too much, to bother doing any more. I'll mention some more later when I go back to edit examples in for the rest of the bands that I mentioned.
:zzz: (By the way, I disagree with your assessment of him for the same reasons outlined above. He's great alright, and has things to say, but he can't get near Burton Cummings for sheer listening pleasure. :-p )

Rock isn't dead you just need to look a little harder.
It is out of the mainstream arena though.
Nowadays the world is overrun with talentless nu-metal bands and crappy boy/girl bands.
I really have something against nu-metal since all the bands sound the same and they always try and pass themselves off as 'hardcore' because they think that's what metal is about.
Most of the bands that play what you consider good 'old fashioned' rock are underground bands that haven't been properly promoted.
Just out of interest though what do people like about The Mars Volta?

Metal fans have changed in the last decade or so. In the early 90's you could go to a concert and mosh and maybe you would come home with a few bruises or a bloody nose by accident. A few years ago I was at a Sevendust/Kittie concert in the Phoenix area and it looked more like an excuse for people to hurt each other than anything resembling dancing. Could just have been that concert I suppose, but that is the impression I got. It used to be a lot of pushing and a random sort of rough contact. People at that concert were aiming blows intentionally to harm people. One person would be pushed in a circle and not allowed to leave and be hit from behind. I was disgusted by the whole thing and upset that something I used to enjoy had been demeaned in a way.

Huckleberry said:
Metal fans have changed in the last decade or so. In the early 90's you could go to a concert and mosh and maybe you would come home with a few bruises or a bloody nose by accident.
Even the whole mosh thing kinda weirded me out. In my day we'd stay in our seats, make a lot of noise, maybe spark up a gagger... and when Bic lighters were introduced, we'd use those. (You don't want to hold a lit Zippo that long unless you have gloves on.) :eek:

I have never really trusted Bic lighters ever since one exploded in my car. Last time I leave a lighter in my car in the parking lot in Arizona in the summer. I didn't know a lighter could break into so many pieces. Thankfully it was on the front seat and nothing caught on fire. If I had left it in the glove compartment like I usually do it probably wouldn't have exploded, but if it did I would have been scraping paint slag off the pavement.

If someone asks you to turn down the volume, then it probably isn't rock & roll. Seriously, why do people want to share their musical taste with the rest of us as we are driving along? Even if I were to like what they are listening to, don't they know it's noise pollution, and when you're at the park that it is disturbing the peace?

Haha yeah that car thing pisses me off so much.
But in the end I just feel sorry for them because they don't seem to realize how much damage they are doing to their hearing.
It's mainly the case with the people who listen to R & B and Drum & Bass.
Huckelberry you are right about some fans doing that sort of crap at metal concerts.
Except it's really just a very small group. Over here if someone does something like that the rest of the crowd turns on them so I guess it isn't a good idea.
But going to a bloody Kittie concert is asking for crap.
You can always be sure that 80% of the people there are going to be little gothic morons with severe attitude problems who think they're really 'hardcore' by listening to death metal.
It's the people that don't listen to the music for the right reasons in the end.
Any hardcore concert is guaranteed to be like that as well because they have the hitting pit where they all just punch air randomly for the whole song and if you happen to walk within an arm length then you get punched.
But I can't see this lasting much longer because a lot of people get pissed off with it. Even the bands go off at people who do that.
Anyways I'm going to stop my babbling for now :)

Ok, so its not just me getting older and out of touch. That's something of a relief. I went to the concert to see Sevendust. I did end up buying the Kittie cd. There are only a handful of female metal bands. DrainSTH is pretty good. Still no really great ones out there though.
You can always be sure that 80% of the people there are going to be little gothic morons with severe attitude problems who think they're really 'hardcore' by listening to death metal.
It's the people that don't listen to the music for the right reasons in the end.
Posers :mad:

The whole mosh thing is the only reason I like living in a small town (well, small compared to what I'm used to). When the punk bands come to town, it never get's violent and people rarely get hurt. And it's always loads of fun.

hahah yeah I can't like Kittie and Arch Enemy and Otep.
While I really like the music of Arch Enemy and think some songs are ok of Otep and Kittie, I am just severely put off.
I can't handle a female singing harsh vocals. It's just not natural :)
I mean if Meshuggah got a female singer that could sing like Jens Kidman then I think that I wouldn't be able to listen to it no matter how good they are.
So I stick with the normal female fronted bands like The Gathering and a whole heap of others.