Is Rayo's Number the Largest Finite Number?

• Thread starter donglepuss
  • Start date
In summary: No, that's Graham's number."1/(1-0.999...) +1The problem is that it is s trivial game if all you have to do is make up a number.That's why I'm a fan of Grahams Number, which was (for a time) the largest number ever used in a math paper.Its so large that it cannot be written out in the volume of the observable universe. In fact, the number that represents the number of digits in Grahams number is so large, it cannot be written out in the volume of the known universe.Here is the man himself explaining where it came from.Tree3 on numberphile is also interesting
donglepuss
i'll start:

1/(1-0.999...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer suggest this:

1661550568242.png

fresh_42 said:
I'll skip to the end: Ben Gurion!
http://www.ephraimkishon.de/en/my_favorite_stories.htm

Likes topsquark
donglepuss said:
i'll start:

1/(1-0.999...)
1/(1-0.999...) +1

The problem is that it is s trivial game if all you have to do is make up a number.

That's why I'm a fan of Grahams Number, which was (for a time) the largest number ever used in a math paper.

Its so large that it cannot be written out in the volume of the observable universe. In fact, the number that represents the number of digits in Grahams number is so large, it cannot be written out in the volume of the known universe.

Likes pinball1970 and BWV
donglepuss said:
i'll start:

1/(1-0.999...)
Bogus, since 9-bar is exactly 1 so you are dividing by zero. Why not just say infinity, since that's what you wrote?

EDIT: also, infinity is not a number, so you have violated your own rules of the question.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
I'm sure Dr. Seuss could tell you. (I don't recall the name of the book, sorry!)

-Dan

1661551864954.png

Likes DaveC426913
donglepuss said:
i'll start:

1/(1-0.999...)
Two philosophers getting drunk in a bar and one asks the other.
"i bet you half a crown that I can think of a bigger number than you."
The other guy thought for a minute and said.
"Ok you're on."
First philosopher thought hard for about 5 minutes in silence then blurted out in triumph.
"Two!"
The second guy thought for a while and said.
"Ok you win."

• Haha
Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
1/(1-0.999...) +1

The problem is that it is s trivial game if all you have to do is make up a number.

That's why I'm a fan of Grahams Number, which was (for a time) the largest number ever used in a math paper.

Its so large that it cannot be written out in the volume of the observable universe. In fact, the number that represents the number of digits in Grahams number is so large, it cannot be written out in the volume of the known universe.
Here is the man himself explaining where it came from.
Tree3 on numberphile is also interesting

EDIT: It would help if I posted the link. He died July 2020, I missed that. RIP Ronald Graham.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
<inhales lung full of helium> ##{}^\mathrm{Two!}##

There, bet that's higher than any of you can manage.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, DaveC426913 and 3 others
donglepuss said:
i'll start:

1/(1-0.999...)
Is this the biggest? Rayo's number?

Related to Is Rayo's Number the Largest Finite Number?

1. What is the purpose of saying the highest number?

The purpose of saying the highest number is to determine the maximum value in a set of numbers or to compare the relative size of different numbers.

2. How do you determine the highest number in a set?

To determine the highest number in a set, you can either arrange the numbers in order from highest to lowest and identify the first number, or you can use a calculator or computer program to find the maximum value.

3. Is there a limit to the highest number that can be said?

In theory, there is no limit to the highest number that can be said. However, in practical terms, the highest number that can be accurately represented and manipulated is limited by the precision of the system or device being used.

4. Can the highest number change?

Yes, the highest number can change depending on the set of numbers being compared. For example, if you are comparing the numbers 5, 10, and 15, the highest number would be 15. However, if you add the number 20 to the set, then the highest number would become 20.

5. Why is it important to know the highest number?

Knowing the highest number can be useful in many situations, such as determining the maximum value in a data set, comparing numbers to make decisions, or setting goals and targets. It can also help with problem-solving and critical thinking skills.