Is Quantum Physics the theory of everything if

In summary, quantum physics allows for any mass of an electron, as long as the energy and velocity are low. It is inconsistent with phenomena at high energies, but is consistent with phenomena at low energies.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello i am new to forum, and relatively new to Quantum physics study.

I know that Quantum Physics cannot explain all the physical or universal phenomena, BUT:

Provided that gravitational fields are weak, and we have to do with phenomena at low energies , so that the distortion of space and time (as desicribed by GR ) is negligible, is Quantum Physics the theory of everything? Can quantum physics explain all those phenomena falling into the former category (low gravity-low energy, with flat spacetime)?

Are there any phenomena associated with low energies and low gravity that quantum physics cannot give an explanation?

P.S I am not talkin about unification of the fundamental forces, as there are fermion and bosons which arent the same thing, there might as well be nuclear force and electromagnetic force and electroweak force which need not to be the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say that quantum physics can EXPLAIN all low-energy phenomena, but I think it is safe to say that all such phenomena are CONSISTENT with quantum physics. For example, quantum physics cannot explain why the mass of the electron is such as it is, but such mass is consistent with it because quantum physics allows any mass of the electron.

Demystifier said:
I wouldn't say that quantum physics can EXPLAIN all low-energy phenomena, but I think it is safe to say that all such phenomena are CONSISTENT with quantum physics. For example, quantum physics cannot explain why the mass of the electron is such as it is, but such mass is consistent with it because quantum physics allows any mass of the electron.

Well the way i mean explanation is the way u perceive consistency ). To be honest you expressed my question (and the answer) in a more accurate way than i did. My main concern is if quantum physics facing a low energy phenomenon, will give a prediction, calculation, or an answer (explanation) that is consistent with the experimental data. In the case of the mass of electron, quantum physics give an answer "it can be anything" which ofcourse is in constistency with the experimental data (at low velocities, at high ones the answer still seems to be consistent but much of quantum physics arent,as the electron mass and energy increases following the increase in velocity, quantum physics start breaking down).

Last edited:

Related to Is Quantum Physics the theory of everything if

1. Is quantum physics the theory of everything?

No, quantum physics is not the theory of everything. While it is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, it does not fully encompass all of physics and cannot explain certain phenomena, such as gravity.

2. What is the theory of everything?

The theory of everything, also known as the "theory of everything," is a hypothetical single, all-encompassing theory that would explain all physical aspects of the universe, including the behavior of particles at a subatomic level and the force of gravity.

3. Can quantum physics and the theory of relativity be unified?

Currently, there is no unified theory that combines quantum physics and the theory of relativity. While both theories are highly successful in their respective domains, they have not yet been successfully merged into a single, all-encompassing theory.

4. How does quantum physics relate to the theory of everything?

Quantum physics is a fundamental theory that is often seen as a stepping stone towards the theory of everything. It provides a crucial understanding of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, which is necessary for developing a complete theory of everything.

5. Will we ever have a theory of everything?

It is difficult to predict whether or not we will ever have a complete theory of everything. Scientists continue to work towards this goal, but it is possible that the complexity of the universe may prevent us from ever fully understanding it. However, with ongoing advancements in technology and research, it is certainly a possibility in the future.