Is Proper Time the Only Measure of Motion in Spacetime?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proper time as a measurement of a curve in spacetime. Proper time is the length (spacetime interval) along a curve, while motion is the slope of the curve. The speaker suggests that the direction of time could potentially be reversed by having a second curvature in the opposite direction, but the other person raises questions about the connection between time and Earth's motion.
Curious6
If time is a curvature in spacetime as described in relativity, then picture this. If there is a curvature in spacetime time is going in one direction (let's call this curvature 1) but then could time travel not be possible by having a second curvature in curvature 1 but going in the opposite direction?

Insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "time being a curvature in spacetime."

Curious6 said:
If time is a curvature in spacetime as described in relativity
Gravity is described as curvature of spacetime. Proper time is the "length" (aka spacetime interval) along a particular type of curve in spacetime, specifically the type of curve that can represent the path of an object through spacetime (aka worldline).

cristo said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "time being a curvature in spacetime."
I explained proper time to him in another thread about a week ago. I told him that the time measured by a clock is the proper time of the curve in spacetime that represents the clock's motion. I gave him the exact definition of proper time and emphasized that it's a property of a curve (its "length").

In a post he made after that, he talked about time being "a curve in spacetime", and now it has deteriorated further to "a curvature in spacetime".

Last edited:
Fredrik, I understand the difference between proper and coordinate time. There is no 'deterioration' involved in my envisaging what you have said as a curvature in spacetime. You clearly mention 'the time measured by a clock is the proper time of the curve in spacetime that represents the clock's motion'. Now how is that different than saying that time measures a curve in spacetime? It measures the curve in spacetime that represents the clock's motion, but nevertheless it measures a curve in spacetime. No deterioration of any sort; rather, a generalization of a concept to try to understand further concepts.

My question still stands, but can be put in other terms. If we take your formulation of the concept of proper time and substitute the word Earth for 'watch' then we get: 'the time measured by Earth is the proper time of the curve in spacetime that represents the Earth's motion'. Is it not fair to say that the only reason we experience time as going forward is because of Earth's motion?

Curious6 said:
Fredrik, I understand the difference between proper and coordinate time. There is no 'deterioration' involved in my envisaging what you have said as a curvature in spacetime. You clearly mention 'the time measured by a clock is the proper time of the curve in spacetime that represents the clock's motion'. Now how is that different than saying that time measures a curve in spacetime? It measures the curve in spacetime that represents the clock's motion, but nevertheless it measures a curve in spacetime. No deterioration of any sort; rather, a generalization of a concept to try to understand further concepts.

My question still stands, but can be put in other terms. If we take your formulation of the concept of proper time and substitute the word Earth for 'watch' then we get: 'the time measured by Earth is the proper time of the curve in spacetime that represents the Earth's motion'. Is it not fair to say that the only reason we experience time as going forward is because of Earth's motion?
The important distinction is that a curve has several properties that one might wish to measure, e.g. Direction, radius of curvature, slope, length, torsion, angle, etc. Proper time is the length (spacetime interval) along the curve. What we call motion is the slope of the curve in spacetime, which is geometrically distinct from the length. A line that has a slope of 0 may still have a length, similarly a motionless object still goes through time.

Last edited:

Related to Is Proper Time the Only Measure of Motion in Spacetime?

1. What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a non-linear fashion. It is often portrayed in science fiction, but there is ongoing research and discussion about the possibility of time travel in real life.

2. Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is only possible in theory. While there are various theories and hypotheses about how it could potentially be achieved, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that can support actual time travel.

3. How does time travel work?

The concept of time travel is based on the idea that time is not a fixed and linear dimension, but rather a dynamic and malleable one. Theories about how it could work include manipulating space-time, creating wormholes, and utilizing the theory of relativity.

4. What are the potential consequences of time travel?

One of the main concerns about time travel is the potential for disrupting the natural flow of time and causing paradoxes. Other consequences could include altering the course of history, changing the future, and creating alternate timelines.

5. Can time travel be used to change the past?

This is a topic of debate and speculation. Some theories suggest that changing the past is not possible as it would create a paradox, while others propose the concept of parallel universes and alternate timelines. Ultimately, the answer is still unknown and remains a popular theme in science fiction.